DIY: Vtec indicator light

Dinzdale40

Large Member
Reaction score
lol you should hook it up to a relay that activates an audio recorder so you can make it say something when you hit VTEC....that would be hilarious...like..."thats some mad tyte VTEC yo".....you could also have it activate other things around the car for fun....

rwong410

Reaction score
Dinzdale40 said:
lol you should hook it up to a relay that activates an audio recorder so you can make it say something when you hit VTEC....that would be hilarious...like..."thats some mad tyte VTEC yo".....you could also have it activate other things around the car for fun....
That would be so hilarious...

Sakuradrops808B

Reaction score
Dayum! i did this vtec light diy, and i cant believe vtec engages so early at 2500~ish.
VTEC's main purpose for our engine (f23a1) is economy, that's why changeover point is at low rpm.
But this is a cool mod though, Kinda ricey but with a reasonable use.
Having a sohc V wouldnt be noticable when it comes to actually hearing the engagement, at least now i know it kicks in.

Misterd0505

Reaction score
actually guys, AZ sells 12V LEDs that are a little bigger than the 4V LEDs... you don't need a resistor with those, so just wire it normally... not a big deal, but a little less soldering/taping.

Levi

Reaction score
alright, step 15 just leaves me clueless. I understand that you place the LED where you want it, and the wire follows down to the ECU where the wire is taped with the spliced vtec wire.

So as of right now, wire is connected to vtec wire, and goes straight to LED.

but where the hell did the ground wire come from? in step 15 it looks to me that it's a random wire stuck to the bolt. :thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

hancockd

SLO CG2
Reaction score
one wire on the led goes to the vtec wire at the ecu
the other wire on the led gets grounded.....ground it at a good grounding point

Levi

Reaction score
oh crap haha i get it now. one wire is connected to the positive wire of the led and another on the negative and tape it together and hook it all up.

Reaction score
You can get an LED assembly at Radio Shack. That's what I used. It comes with the LED, resisitor, and a mounting nut so you can secure the led from both sides. It makes it a lot easier.
FYI:
Be sure to etiher use a splice or actually solder it into the ECU. It seems easier to just strip and tape... but this is the ECU we're talking about.

Reaction score
Here's my Vtec Light. Sorry for the crappy picture of it on, but that I took these with my phone while driving.

vteclightoffsg0.jpg

vteclightonwc4.jpg

And I'll address this now, some of you will say that the bubble-letter "Vtec" is too rice :thinking: or something like that but it keeps the area from being boring to look at.

Back