VTEC solenoid gasket info

lashlee

Reaction score
I've spent the last few weeks searching for some answers on the leak I had on the back of the head. I found out the leak was coming from the VTEC solenoid. Most of the sites list the solenoid to head gasket but don't list the gasket for the upper portion. I read a few posts where people thought the 94-97 would work. They were right!

If you have the same leak the two gaskets you'll need are:

Upper: 36172-P0A-005
Head: 15825-P0A-015

If I had known the upper gasket would work from the older model I would replace it first. To remove the solenoid itself will require you to drain the radiator and pull the thermostat housing behind the block. Not hard, just time consuming.

mossberg

Reaction score
Think I've got a leak from the vtec solenoid. Perhaps the distributor too. Not sure if there are any other gaskets on the passenger side of the engine that might be an issue (don't think it's the head gasket as there is no mixing of oil in coolant or coolant in oil). But definitely seeing oil on top of the transmission housing.

Interestingly, I don't notice any oil dripping onto the ground. I don't always park in the same spot (parking garage), but I go through several quarts of oil a year, so I figure I would notice that if it's constantly leaking.

But maybe oil mostly leaks from the vtec solenoid or distributor when the oil is under pressure (i.e., engine on)? Or maybe it's pooling on the transmission housing, and dripping off while the car is in motion. Guess I'll put some cardboard under the passenger side of the engine bay and let the engine run for a bit.

I've spent the last few weeks searching for some answers on the leak I had on the back of the head. I found out the leak was coming from the VTEC solenoid. Most of the sites list the solenoid to head gasket but don't list the gasket for the upper portion. I read a few posts where people thought the 94-97 would work. They were right!

If you have the same leak the two gaskets you'll need are:

Upper: 36172-P0A-005
Head: 15825-P0A-015
Thanks for confirming the '94-'97 gasket will fit.

If I had known the upper gasket would work from the older model I would replace it first. To remove the solenoid itself will require you to drain the radiator and pull the thermostat housing behind the block. Not hard, just time consuming.
I've seen a couple of videos on this and it seems they are able to get the entire solenoid out without disconnecting any radiator lines. Did you use a swivel socket?

Last edited:

james'99

Reaction score
VTEC solenoid, on 4 cylinder, will come pretty easy with 1/4 in tools and swivel socket.

Three gaskets you should change for an oil leak on passenger side top end. Valve cover gasket, vtec solenoid, and distributor o-ring. The distributor o-ring is done simply by removing the entire distributor from the motor. So three bolts about the perimeter and it will pull out. Not the cap screws. Mark the position of the distributor by drawing a line to line it up with because there is adjust-ability to the position of the distributor. Not overly necessary because the computer has a hand in it but it only takes a second to do.

mossberg

Reaction score
VTEC solenoid, on 4 cylinder, will come pretty easy with 1/4 in tools and swivel socket.
Thanks. It would have been a pain to have to drain coolant and disconnect coolant line to remove the vtec solenoid.

Three gaskets you should change for an oil leak on passenger side top end. Valve cover gasket, vtec solenoid, and distributor o-ring.
By "valve cover gasket", I assume you're referring to the head cover gasket?

Honda part # 12341-P0A-000 (# 3 in diagram):
cylinder-head-cover-2144827.png

I don't think that gasket is leaking, but replacing it isn't much more work since I'm removing the solenoid and distributor, so yeah, that makes sense, thanks. Extra peace of mind for $10.

Anyone think it's worth getting the entire head cover gasket set? It's #1 in diagram; part # 12030-P0A-000 (head cover gasket plus a few extra seals). Are those extra seals common sources of leaks? $40 for the set vs $10 for just the head cover gasket.

james'99

Reaction score
Thanks. It would have been a pain to have to drain coolant and disconnect coolant line to remove the vtec solenoid.

By "valve cover gasket", I assume you're referring to the head cover gasket?

Honda part # 12341-P0A-000 (# 3 in diagram):
cylinder-head-cover-2144827.png

I don't think that gasket is leaking, but replacing it isn't much more work since I'm removing the solenoid and distributor, so yeah, that makes sense, thanks. Extra peace of mind for $10.

Anyone think it's worth getting the entire head cover gasket set? It's #1 in diagram; part # 12030-P0A-000 (head cover gasket plus a few extra seals). Are those extra seals common sources of leaks? $40 for the set vs $10 for just the head cover gasket.

Yes, that is what I am referring to. That's up to you. That is the better choice. The extra seals, namely the spark plug tube seals are common points of failure. They rot and fail over time.

Back