Moonroof Problem!

GreddyAccord99

Reaction score
I ran in to a huge problem. I usually always tilt my moonroof to give that sport look and sometimes leave it tilted throughout the night or throughout class for several hours. Well during that period of time it has rained, and rained hard sometimes. I get into my car one day and close the roof so it is not tilted or retracted. I hit the button to retract it, and it just moved barely. It will not fully retract. And now it will not tilt either. To make matters worse. I noticed that when the roof is "closed" one side is sticking up higher than the other side. I know that sounds weird or confusing but I'll provide pictures tomorrow after work. I have no idea how this happened, but Im assuming the rain dried up around the weatherstripping and now it's sticking? Any insight on this problem will be very appreciated.

kn0x47

Reaction score
i really have no idea but i wonder if the rain dried up some of the grease. if you're having problems with the switch maybe some wires have corroded. i dunno tho sense the sunroof motor is all the way in the back at the middle.

HONDUH AKKORD

Reaction score
theres a circle thing on the back side of the ceiling on the rear seats, u can crank it to close the sunroof if it doesnt close properly

98ExAccordwv

I'm Old
Reaction score
I was thinking it might be something like that, so I bought DW40 and sprayed it all around inside trying to lubricate something and nothing worked..

You actually have to use something like white lithium grease, something thick. If it doesn't move at all now, its probably either a) a short somewhere or b) the motor died.

cesthree

Reaction score
Maybe the wind blew something into the track of your moonroof? A stick? An acorn?

This could be a physical obstruction.

Also, when you hit the switch can you hear the motor turning? In my Prelude, 92 Accord, and 2000 Accord, when you reach the fully closed position, or fully opened position, the electric motor will start to whine as the load is increased and the glass cannot move anymore.

This could be an electrical problem, if the motor whines then you know that the electrical system is probably working properly. If not, then an electrical problem may exist anywhere in the circuit.

There may be a cable that is seized, not just the tracks that need greasing, or even worse one of the cables may have detached. This would be my bet because you are saying that the glass closure is asymmetrical, or tilted.

GreddyAccord99

Reaction score
Whenever I hit the button to retract it, it retracts just a little, and if I hold down the button, you feel the car surge and hear a "click" like the roof is trying and barely budging each time it tries. Ive managed to tilt the roof but I have to push the roof up and even after doing so, you would still be able to tell that it is lopsided. Im going to take a couple pictures real quick.

GreddyAccord99

Reaction score
Ok, this is how it looks when it is closed (the right side sticks up)

MoonroofProblem1.jpg

Same scenario except different angle and closer:

MoonroofProblem2.jpg

This is how it looks when it is trying to retract

MoonroofProblem3.jpg

Trying to tilt the roof results in a slight budge, and the glass was way too hot to push it up, but Im sure you all have an idea at least.

Back