Need help!! car having idle and acceleration issues

Kayjay

Reaction score
Sorry in advance if this was already posted. I looked through 15+ pages of posts and the search doesn't work for some reason on my phone. I have a 1998 accord ex coupe with a 2.3l and AT. The car starts and runs fine, but if I shift into reverse or any drive gear the idle drops way down to the point that it will stall unless you are on the gas pedal right away. I have already had the IACV and the map sensor replaced. When I try to accelerate the car bogs and almost sounds as if it is a manual transmission because of the way it shudders. When it shifts into the next gear it bogs/shudders while accelerating. When I come to a stop at a stop sign I have to put it in neutral so It doesn't stall then, put it in drive and hit the gas super fast. Hope this covers it all, any help is greatly appreciated

agginline86

Reaction score
Sorry in advance if this was already posted. I looked through 15+ pages of posts and the search doesn't work for some reason on my phone. I have a 1998 accord ex coupe with a 2.3l and AT. The car starts and runs fine, but if I shift into reverse or any drive gear the idle drops way down to the point that it will stall unless you are on the gas pedal right away. I have already had the IACV and the map sensor replaced. When I try to accelerate the car bogs and almost sounds as if it is a manual transmission because of the way it shudders. When it shifts into the next gear it bogs/shudders while accelerating. When I come to a stop at a stop sign I have to put it in neutral so It doesn't stall then, put it in drive and hit the gas super fast. Hope this covers it all, any help is greatly appreciated

I had similar issues when my primary O2 sensor went bad
do you have a CEL?

cyen008

Reaction score
i kind of had this, I had no error codes showing up and after i adjusted the throttle cable it fixed it

Kayjay

Reaction score
I do but I've had it for a while I had cat delete so there was no place for the rear o2 sensor I had asked a few mechanics if it was necessary to have the rear in and they said it wouldn't effect anything not having it other than the check engine light

agginline86

Reaction score
I do but I've had it for a while I had cat delete so there was no place for the rear o2 sensor I had asked a few mechanics if it was necessary to have the rear in and they said it wouldn't effect anything not having it other than the check engine light

right. the rear o2 sensor doesn't affect how it drives only the primary o2 sensor does

Tectonickz

Reaction score
Mine does kind of the same thing but it's a 5 speed. The idle drops super low (~100rpm) when I pop it in neutral and will die on cold mornings. My CEL Is on for the o2 sensor, I think it's a voltage problem.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
K, rear o2 install spaced back (see spark plug defouler trick) recheck MIL.

Power prob, I think, first make sure, check for throttle cable, then, if ok, check compression.

Kayjay

Reaction score
Lovely it appears I have bad compression in one cylinder and bubbles in the coolant... Looks like head gasket time sadly

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Ooh :(

Bar's Leak sealer time. Actually, I've never tried it, prolly don't work, I used to sell it though.

But yeah, if you're doin it, do timing belts & thermostat at the same time, usually headgaskets are caused by somethin odd, like over heating or a bad coolant.

Craize

Reaction score
Ooh :(

Bar's Leak sealer time. Actually, I've never tried it, prolly don't work, I used to sell it though.

Don't do it^ stop leak is a mess and the block and cooling passages will never be the same -
The engine I pulled out my accord had the Cylinder headgasket style stop leak in it and when I pulled the engine where the coolant hit my shop floor it congealed into a almost wax like puddle and had to replace everything including the hoses, radiator and heater core which sucked to replace!

Back