Pulsing vibration when idling

JniG

Reaction score
So recently, for the past month or so, my check engine light has been coming on for a day or 2 and then turning off all on its own. And then a week or so later it would come on for a day and then turn off again on its own. 2 days ago, it came on again and has stayed on ever since. I am now noticing a pulsing vibration when i've come to a complete stop and idling at a traffic light or something. I can feel the vibration through the steering wheel and through the gas pedal and I can also hear it when I turn off my music. It vibrates for for a second and then stops for maybe 2 seconds and keeps pulsing in this pattern.

If this sounds familiar to anyone, your input is greatly appreciated. I'll have the error code hopefully by tomorrow.

And also, the engine sounds completely normal reving up and feels normal driving. Vibration is only noticeable when idling at complete stop.

Akingkhan

Reaction score
Check out the plugs, wires, dizy, rotor, & coil u most Lilly have a misfire

619rcr

Reaction score
Code # would help.

What Rpm is it running at idle.

A motor mount can also cause a vibration at idle.

JniG

Reaction score
Code # would help.

What Rpm is it running at idle.

A motor mount can also cause a vibration at idle.

Yeah i've read about motor mounts causing vibration too. I notoced that idle is unusually low rpm. FAQ says normal is 650 but im idling at about 350-400 rpm. i dont have a code reader so ill have to go to pep boys tomorrow and get a free diagnosis. Ill report back once i get the code.

619rcr

Reaction score
That would be a rough idle then. Fuel or ignition most likely. How many miles on the car & have you done a tune up recently?

JniG

Reaction score
That would be a rough idle then. Fuel or ignition most likely. How many miles on the car & have you done a tune up recently?

Bought the car a little over a year ago. Just been doing regular oil changes every 4k miles. Previous owner claimed to have done water pump, tming belt, and tranny fluid change. bought it at 128k now has 145k.

JediYuhdigg

Reaction score
You put on an aftermarket intake? Mine did this kinda when I put on a CAI. There is a valve you can adjust in the throttle body. Thats all it took to fix mine.

619rcr

Reaction score
Well, depending on if your code is related to the engine... Such as a misfire, rich or lean code, you may wanna do a basic tune up. Plugs, wires, cap & rotor, air filter. After that then go for something else, like an idle speed adjustment or sensor replacement.

Back