Hooking up Wires....

Dagriff1997

Reaction score
I've done plenty of research and I don't wanna fry my miltiplexor.... lol. I just bought a Pioneer FH-X70BT double din headunit after I found out my 6CD Changer just wasn't for me. I bought a metra kit for the harness and Dash kit. But I was looking at the harness and it has orange and white, and orange. Orange is illumination, and Orange with white striping is dimmer. I am going to assume that I should hook up the illumination wire up to the radio. If anyone owns this radio, it's EXTREMELY bright at night. I would just like to have the feature of turning my lights on and bam, automatically dimmed.
Heres a link to the radio.http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pioneer-FH-X70BT-Double-Din-Single-CD-Receiver-with-Built-in-Bluetooth-2-Line-Display-MIXTRAX-Android-Pandora-USB-Aux/29702808 and not having the auto dim is not an option, I WANT it hooked up. lol

Brad2274

Reaction score
any reason why you went with that double din when you couldve gotten a single? curious, kind of an obnoxious looking stereo.
is there orange wires on both the stereo harness and the dash harness?

Dagriff1997

Reaction score
I don't like single din's because then it collects dust.... idk to me if it fits a double din, might as well put one in. and My buddy had it for a few months, and then he bought a car that only fits a single din, so he sold me his radio for 25$, and it has bluetooth for my note 3, so I figured aye, what could hurt. There is an illumination wire on the HU harness which is orange, and then theres also an orange wire on my metra harness which is illumination, but then there is a orange/white wire which is dimmer, but im thinking of just connecting the two illuminations together since they both say illumination, and they're both orange..

Brad2274

Reaction score
id say go for it, if anything itd probably blow a fuse, i crimped 100+wires for my dash swap and some of them were guess and check, multiplexors are fine

schmiddr2

Reaction score
This may help: http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app...sion/L3RpbWUvMTQwNjE3NjQzNy9zaWQvT0FsS2QzLWw=

And my Pioneer 9980 with the dimming on and on lowest brightness was still too bright on dark roads. I searched for a way to fix it and decided to go with a tinted screen protector for an ipda mini. I had to cut it to fit but I used this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AAKX8MC/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . It works, even though it does reduce quality of the display. I thought about making it non-stick so it's easy to remove for day use, but I've become used to it on the screen all the time.

Last edited:

Dagriff1997

Reaction score
That is seriously a good idea.... I should try that. I already have anti glare ones for my iPad mini. You are a genius!!!!!!!

schmiddr2

Reaction score
Haha. Thanks. When the days are shorter around winter it comes in real handy.

I cut it with a monorail cutter and it came out almost perfect, almost no gaps around edges. If you have a framing square and a sharp razor blade that might work too. GL

FNCONE

Reaction score
If your radio doesn't have the dimmer wire, it probably wont work IMO. I would have to check my Alldata diagrams but i believe one of the orange wires just control how much voltage the screen gets thru the multiplexor.(Orange on the radio harness. Its a different color on OEM wiring, and it doesn't go to the radio just dims or brightens the complete dashboard if I remember correctly). You might be able to dim it with a resistor thru the red and red/black wires which are illumination (oem wire colors) Wired in so once you turn on your parking lights, the radio dims. Just my opinion.

Wht00Accord

Reaction score
If your stock wiring has a illumination wire itll work with that if it doesnt youll blow a fuse to the cluster.

My headunit had a illumination wire but my factory did so mine doesnt illuminate when parking lights are on.

Back