DIY: Stealth switch install using CC switch. Amp remote, foglights, etc.

schmiddr2

Reaction score
Updated to make it more simple to understand.

-----------------------------------------
This is just a guide and you should realize this kind of work has risk of damaging your car or other devices. I do not have any responsibility if you burn your car down or short out something important. You need to know how to do this kind of work before starting and without question you need a Digital Multi-Meter.
-----------------------------------------

The CC switch can not be used by itself to run high power devices. So choose your install type accordingly for you and your cars safety.

Install type 1. This can power anything up to 500W and is the safest way to switch power.

What you will need.

1) CC switch with harness
2) 12V relay. Using standard Bosch relay because it's common, simple, and cheap.
3) Wire strippers
4) Wire, size depends on application
5) Terminals and butt connectors and whatever size for the wire you are using for the device you are powering
6) Electrical tape and/or heatshrink tubing
7) Make sure all connections are covered properly (this is important)
8) Finally, something that needs power (the device)

A few more details on type #1.

1) The CC Switch is not designed to carry a large amount of current so I've added a relay in this DIY so it can handle a wide range of devices.
2) The relay in question can be bought just about anywhere with automotive parts or electronics. Here it is at Parts Express: http://www.parts-express.com/12-vdc...source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla
3) You can get the optional harness to make things a little easier: http://www.parts-express.com/12-vdc-5-pin-relay-socket-for-bosch-type-relay--330-075
4) This relay will work for anything up to 40A or 500W. If you need more power then you will need a larger relay, which are available.
5) The wire and fusing size depends on current of the device. So for the 40A relay you could use a 40A fuse with 4ga. wire, or if the device only needs 10A then 12ga. with a 10A fuse. You just need to match the wire to the power demand and the fuse to the wire size. http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm
6) If you want to have it automatically turn on or off when you turn the ignition key and still have the ability to manually turn it on or off, then find an accessory switched power wire, use that as you positive to the switch GRN.

Install type 2. Remote power for amplifiers.
Install type 3. Powering one SMALL low current fan for cooling amplifiers.

What you will need.

1) CC switch with harness
2) Wire strippers
3) Wire, size depends on application
4) Terminals and butt connectors.
5) Electrical tape and/or heatshrink tubing
6) Make sure all connections are covered properly (this is important)
7) Finally, something that needs power (the device)

Technically you could control it with a temperature controller (technically you would not even need the CC switch but it would be nice to be able to turn it off in some cases), but if anyone wants to do that let me know. Something like this would do it, http://www.amazon.com/12V-Digital-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat/dp/B00C4TEEF2

attachment.php

Attachments

• Relay_0332209138_Drawing.jpg
    Relay_0332209138_Drawing.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 211
  • CC Switch.jpg
    CC Switch.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 209
  • CC Switch with Harness.jpg
    CC Switch with Harness.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 215
  • Bosch.jpg
    Bosch.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:

schmiddr2

Reaction score
Re: DIY: Stealth switch install using CC switch

Type 1 should look something like this. I just wanted to see how it would be done so this one is for sale. $50.

Attachments

• IMAG0297.jpg
    IMAG0297.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Interesting write-up on a great idea...now I need something to power!

ParisiOT

Reaction score
pretty good idea. You could even use the TCS/Cruise button if you wanted to have both.

schmiddr2

Reaction score
Someone asked me about this recently so I made a couple drawings and modified the first post.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Bosch relay drawing.jpg
    Bosch relay drawing.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 458
Last edited:
Back