Losing oil????

finch13

Reaction score
I'm betting valve guides are going to leak more than worn rings. Or hitting VTEC a lot at higher RPMs (3000+).

You're best bet to finding the leak is to mix up some Simple Green, spray the block down when it's cold, and wipe down any remaining grime. Fill the engine to the upper oil mark, watch for leaks and keep track of how many miles you drive to how much oil you burn. Easiest way to do this would be to check your oil after every drive and see how many miles it takes to go from the upper mark to the lower mark on the dipstick. The distance between those marks equals 1 quart.

The rear main seal (seal around the crank where it exits the block to the transmission) is a common thing to leak, valve cover, distributor seal are also known culprits. Look in the oil fill hole and in your coolant reservoir tank, if the coolant is a brown color or even creamy beige that could mean your head gasket is blown or leaking.

You can also check behind the crank pulley (has the A/C, alt and power steering belts on it) there is a seal similar to the rear main seal there.

Last edited:

MrLazie1

Reaction score
also what kind of oil are you using? 5w30? does it make sounds in the engine?

20Accord01

Reaction score
I'm betting valve guides are going to leak more than worn rings. Or hitting VTEC a lot at higher RPMs (3000+).

You're best bet to finding the leak is to mix up some Simple Green, spray the block down when it's cold, and wipe down any remaining grime. Fill the engine to the upper oil mark, watch for leaks and keep track of how many miles you drive to how much oil you burn. Easiest way to do this would be to check your oil after every drive and see how many miles it takes to go from the upper mark to the lower mark on the dipstick. The distance between those marks equals 1 quart.

The rear main seal (seal around the crank where it exits the block to the transmission) is a common thing to leak, valve cover, distributor seal are also known culprits. Look in the oil fill hole and in your coolant reservoir tank, if the coolant is a brown color or even creamy beige that could mean your head gasket is blown or leaking.

You can also check behind the crank pulley (has the A/C, alt and power steering belts on it) there is a seal similar to the rear main seal there.

Thanks for the info, I will re-post my findings whenever I have a good weekend to dig into this

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
The cap (and recommended oil) changed in either 00 or 01.

Later years = 5W20.

WOW, and I thought I was crazy or something...
it must have changed in 01
because on my 2K EX it said 5w30.
Not sure why it would change if they're using the exact same motor between 98-02

Back