Oil in the spark plug tunnels?

Baller

Reaction score
Been having some problems with my 3.0L '02 sedan having random misfires. It just recently got a lot worse. Took the intake plenum off to clean the EGR ducting and it looked good. Started to take the coil packs out and a few were sealed/air tight in the tunnels. I pulled them out and they had a good amount of oil on them. I did the valves last May and replaced all the valve cover seals. Could that be the problem or could I possibly be looking at something worse?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Baller

Reaction score
Not that you can tell what's going on inside with a picture of the outside, but here's where I'm at. You can see there was enough oil in the middle plug tunnel that it leaked out and down onto the exhaust shield. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Baller

Reaction score
Yes. I took the valve covers off last night and the seals are the culprit. 4 of 6 were shot.

Baller

Reaction score
I guess you screwed up the install of the new seals?

Probably. I certainly didn't pay as much attention last time as I did this time getting those seals on properly when reinstalling the valve covers. The back side, facing the firewall, was a PITA.

Baller

Reaction score
Changed the seals and cleaned out the tunnels and still had a problem with misfires in cylinders 1 and 6. Picked up new coil packs for 1 and 6 and all is back to normal. As it turns out, cylinders 1 and 6 were the only ones without oil down them. Go figure.

Back