Accord Has Been Stolen!

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I'm glad your car turned up, but it is such a ridiculous notion that it was taken from you and you have to jump through hoops to get your own car back. I can hardly believe that. Insurance is such a scam in so many ways, they take your money all year every year but when the rare times come around that you really need them they don't give a ****.

Know anyone who is in the business or someone who might know someone else who is? I guess if there's no other options and if you're willing to pay whatever it takes to win the auction then you'll come home with it, but there are lots of variables there.

Hopefully someone who is in the know will chime in. Good luck, and keep us updated.

Accordx

Reaction score
So messed up how they won't sell it back to its rightful owner at least. I'd personally be dropping that insurance after it gets sorted out. Sorry I'm not an expert on any of this but it sucks that this had to happen to you. Best wishes hopefully someone else can help.

Connie

Reaction score
Damn dude that sucks.

Once, about 3 years ago, mine was stolen in South Carolina from a gas station while I was inside for literally 30 seconds buying a coffee. Things happen FAST.

Came outside to it pulling out of the parking lot and going down woodruff road in Greenville at WOT. It sounded nice, lol.

Luckily I was almost out of gas (had enough to make it to work maybe), and the cops found the guy trying to gas and dash at the Kangaroo gas station literally 3 miles away, 20 minutes later.

I was very lucky. My passport, laptop, tablet and bag were exactly where I left them.

Sorry things aren't going as well for you, that insurance company is a bunch of crooks from what I've read in this thread.

Emphasis

Reaction score
Glad your car was found, although it truly sucks to hear what you're going through now. I wish I could offer something more concrete, but personally I'd try pulling all the strings I can, and seeking legal advice might help.

GERM

Reaction score
That is messed up.
I'm no legal expert, but if the insurance paid it off to you because it got stolen, then it belongs to them.
Therefore you have no legal possession over the vehicle.
It honestly seems like your only option is to show up and bid on it.

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
Pull the motors and all the parts you want. Then dump the car in a pit. Call police and report it stolen.

Find another 6th gen. Build it again and it's yours!!!!

604ACCORD

Reaction score
If I lived there or vise versa I could help you as my brother can go to auctions, if I remember correctly any used car lot/auto body shop has their broker license. Do you have a body shop that u used for anything maybe offer them some cash to go bid on it for you, or take you so you can bid and get them to grab it. Money talks bull**** walks as they say.... I think your in Cali right? I just googled auto brokers in California and tons of places show up get on the horn and start calling its worth a shot. Hope this helps ya a bit.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
That is messed up.
I'm no legal expert, but if the insurance paid it off to you because it got stolen, then it belongs to them.

I have to agree, if you took their money, it's theirs and there's nothing you can do about it other than go bid on it.

In Connie's case, he hadn't been paid out yet, so he could legally get his car back.

My son had an accident with his Civic, and the insurance company totaled it. They sent him a check minus the amount they sold the car back to him for (he told them he wanted to keep it). He fixed it, and spent most of the money they gave him, but he was also able to keep the clean non-rebuilt or salvage title. And since we rebuilt it per the insurance companies requirements, he was able to get full coverage again (which helped when a deer hit him, and NOT the other way around, as they don't pay you for hitting a deer). They didn't pay out as much the 2nd time around, but they just left enough meat on the bone to fix it without using any cash out of pocket.:)

akoutmos

Reaction score
Pull the motors and all the parts you want. Then dump the car in a pit. Call police and report it stolen.

lol. i wish it worked that way. i'd rather not get into legal problems with the insurance company as they do technically own the vehicle. But the idea has crossed my mind.

If I lived there or vise versa I could help you as my brother can go to auctions, if I remember correctly any used car lot/auto body shop has their broker license. Do you have a body shop that u used for anything maybe offer them some cash to go bid on it for you, or take you so you can bid and get them to grab it. Money talks bull**** walks as they say.... I think your in Cali right? I just googled auto brokers in California and tons of places show up get on the horn and start calling its worth a shot. Hope this helps ya a bit.

I no longer live in CA. After the car theft I had pretty much had it in the bay area. I'm back in New England now so working with anyone long distance on this will be a pain. I called the auction house. they said that they do not do direct sales under any circumstance and that you need a broker to bid on the vehicle for you. Problem is i didn't get much money for the car as insurance only paid out blue book on it. So it may go for more than i can afford at the moment. I should start a GoFundMe to get my car back :/.

That is messed up.

I get that and even told them on the phone that i understand they own it. But good customer service would be to allow the original owner to buy it back. That's what i was hoping for. They do get a crap ton of money from us as we use them for more than just car insurance.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
That is messed up.
agreed.

i would assume they don't want to sell it back because of liability and/or fraud reasons. you get a check for $x when the car was gone a year ago, what is the current value? how do they know what it's been through (flooded/engine blown/has stolen parts in it)? how can they value it if the car, already paid out, comes back with some parts missing?

it's like...they called it a total loss a year ago, now here it is again but you have to convince them that today it's actually not a total loss :shrug: for the insurance company, it's probably best in their own interests to wipe their hands of it and let the auction company deal with it.

not sure if serious...
I get that and even told them on the phone that i understand they own it. But good customer service would be to allow the original owner to buy it back. That's what i was hoping for. They do get a crap ton of money from us as we use them for more than just car insurance.
ehh, they'll probably just point to the small print that no one reads and say you signed on the line when you bought the policy, therefore you agreed to the terms within.

they won't go against policy for "customer service" and it's irrelevant how much you pay them every year.

this isn't to say i'm not sympathetic, just that this is the reality of the situation.

Back