F23 oil consumption

khashhhh

Reaction score
Hey guys

I was wondering if its normal for an f23 to burn oil. I burn about 1 qrt for every 1400 miles. Is this normal? Compression test was 180 all the way across and it doesnt leak any oil because my garage is spotless.

Thank you

finch13

Reaction score
VTEC burns oil, plus a worn engine will burn oil as well. Right now, at 224k, my F23 burns about 1qt/1000 miles, maybe a little more with 200 psi dry compression across the board.

Did you do a wet compression test too?

khashhhh

Reaction score
VTEC burns oil, plus a worn engine will burn oil as well. Right now, at 224k, my F23 burns about 1qt/1000 miles, maybe a little more with 200 psi dry compression across the board.

Did you do a wet compression test too?

Thanks so much. that is so much of a stress reliever. And i do hit vtec sometimes so that doesnt help. No I only did a dry compression test. The thing is I am selling my car and I dont want to sell someone a bad car. So its pretty normal for the f23 to consume a little oil? I heard it states in the owners manual that the oil level has to be check after every fill up. True? because i cant find it.

finch13

Reaction score
Everyone says to check the oil every time you fill up at the pump. Some people never check it. Ever.

As long as you're familiar with the oil consumption characteristics of your engine, you can decide how often to check it. I know that with my car, when it has 4.5 qts. in it, I can check it 2 weeks later and it will have exactly 1 less quart.

mraw112

Reaction score
Thats not normals. Your compression seems fine. check your spark plugs and check to see if theres any one thats oily or crusty. Its probably your valve seals, since your compression is fine, but I have had a broken oil ring , and the compression test showed normal, but this is very uncommon. Valve seals usually leak more oil when the engine is a vacuum. If you have a noticeable leak, then form my experience, its most noticable seen form revving up the throttle high and the releasing the throttle fast. If there is a puff of blue smoke that comes out of the exhaust when your release the throttle, then its leaking form the valve seals.

Also I dont see at all how vtec can burn oil. There is no connection, or seal between the vtec system and the combustion chambers.

Totalimmortal

Reaction score
My car is a pretty big oil hog. Maybe a quart every coule weeks, never done a compression test. Im scared too

hotaccord243

Reaction score
Subscribed also!

There no reason a motor should burn 1qt/1000 miles. If any it would only burn a teeny tiny bit every oil change. It means somewhere in your seals/gaskets/rings/etc there is some wear and tear. Sometimes the fix is more than it's worth. But there isn't a reason your car should burn oil other than just older motor, and regular wear and tear on the seals etc.

Back