THE Engine and Transmission Review Thread

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score

Please keep all posting that is not a review out of this thread.

J30, 32, or 35?? F23 or 20B?? H22, or 23?? This thread is for you!! Post up reviews of your engine and transmission swaps!!

Stay true to the format:

What Engine/Transmission:
Price paid and from where:
HP/TQ Gains:
Pros:
Cons:
Final verdict:

Please keep all posting that is not a review out of this thread.

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
Brand & model: Honda M2S4 Tranny
Price paid and from where: 150 off ebay
Pros: Great low end gearing; quickly rip through gears
Cons: 70 mph is 3500 rpms in 5h gear; little bit high for me
Final verdict: Great tranny for n/a cars

MikeyMike

Reaction score
What Engine/Transmission: 2003 CL Type S 6 speed Manual Transmission
Price paid and from where: Transmission: $2200/New from RiceboyDrew on v6p
HP/TQ Gains: HP: N/A TQ: Noticable. Don't know numbers
Pros: Deffinitly the only answer to the "Auto-Tragic" IMO. I've personaly been through 3 auto's and this transmission completely changed my entire feelings about the car. It became a completely different vehicle. 3rd and 4th gear in the 6 speed are unbelievable.
Cons: EXPENSIVE. Something you will be devoting a lot of money to to get done. Without swapping engine also, you will need RichieV6's bypass harness or car will not run. Otherwise swap out all the engine sensors and ECU. Then cross your fingers
Final verdict: Tired of going through automatics like they were made of paper? Do this swap. Swaplist in my Sig if you need an idea of where to start.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Brand & model: 2000 OEM Honda 5 speed transmission
Price paid and from where: 500$ with 46k miles. Local Shop
Pros: 1ST 2ND and 3RD gear are very fun. Well quality, more power than an automatic.
Cons: 5th gear is a little long
Final verdict: Great tranny for turboed cars. Longer gears= less shifting, more boosting.

LX_F23A1

Reaction score
Brand & model: Hayden 16,000 GWV Tranny Cooler
Price paid and from where: $23 Shipped, JEGSPERFORMANCE on Ebay
Pros: Stron build, very very very effective.
Cons: Fins are SUPER fragile.
Final verdict: Amazing cooler for its price. Recommend for teh V6 and I4 owners.

AllGOnoSHOW

Reaction score
What Engine/Transmission: 2003 CL Type S 6 speed Manual Transmission
Price paid and from where: 2000 bucks including a lot of the parts needed for the swap from a guy in Chicago :)
HP/TQ Gains: Noticeable gains through out the whole power band.
Pros: I've been thru 2 Automatic transmissions. A ton more fun than the 4 A/T. Able to keep higher RPMs for more easily accesable power. I am in love with my car all over again.
Cons: It's a tad exspensive. Paid around $4200 - $4400 for everything including the RichieV6's bypass harness and the other parts needed for the swap.
Final verdict: The best modification I've done to my car. Worth every penny. The car is not even the same car. :omgbd: I can't even explain how awesome the 6 speed feels.

Last edited:

payndew

Reaction score
What Engine/Transmission: F-series 5 spd, 1998 accord/cl 4cyl

Price paid and from where: 1st was oem, second from junkyard for 300
HP/TQ Gains: - got my third gear back.

Pros: very easy to shift , smooth , long gears so less shifting.

Cons: VERY PRONE TO SLIPPAGE AND GRINDING at moderate use, even for the first time. Syncro's go bad easily.

Final verdict: if ur doin a 5spd swap, save urself the headache and invest a few more bills in an H series trans, shorter gears yea.. But u will appreciate the fact that it lasts more than 1 month without grinding.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
What Engine/Transmission: 2002 Acura TL Type-S 3.2 engine/2006 Honda Accord 6 speed manual transmission
Price paid and from where: $500 for engine (~60k miles) from V6P.net member/ $975 for 6spd tranny (~37k miles) from j32a.com member.
HP/TQ Gains: 60hp/37 lb ft torque
Pros: What this car should have been from the factory. A 6spd swap lets this car become a different animal. All bolt ons are for sound, this is the only way to get noticeable performance out of your AV6. Not only makes the car more fun, but also more reliable as well.
Cons: It's a bit expensive. Requires a good deal of time and hard work.
Final verdict: I'll quote the above: "The best modification I've done to my car. Worth every penny. The car is not even the same car. I can't even explain how awesome the 6 speed feels." If you're going to hold onto your Accord for a while, forget the bolt ons because the joy they bring fades quickly when you realize how slow your car still is. Save your money, and swap to 6spd.

Back