Mikey's 2001 V6 Coupe

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
Re: Mikey's 2001 Accord Coupe EX

Yeah, the load equalizers are a hassle and tend to heat up as well.

I was referring to this; quoted from another forum....
we do have a black box in the same spot, though i'm not sure if anyone has messed with it. guinea pig? :lawl:
Also programmed my HomeLink last night. Im gonna see about getting a set of LEDs for the license plate tonight and work on that.
SBLEDs has a nice 5 LED bulb that i have in my plate light...very bright. i'd also highly recommend their 3x super bright festoon bulb for the dome light...that thing is ridiculous...

Mikey

Reaction score

Eh, i might guinea pig, i dont know. Might just pick up the resistor like Ryder suggested.

As for the plate LEDs, my local AutoZone used to carry LED 194s but they were out today. Wasnt even a space on the shelf for em. Ill have to order em from SBLED.

That 5-LED piece you're talking about...how does that work? Is it one piece or what?

I'll try just a regular festoon bulb for the dome. As long as its as bright as the filament 194, ill be ok. I dont need the light of the 1000 suns in my car, lol.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score

Interesting about the "brown box" method.

we do have a black box in the same spot, though i'm not sure if anyone has messed with it. guinea pig? :lawl:

I think this is sedans only. Ah ain gawt no bawx in ma tailz.

Might just pick up the flasher like Ryder suggested.

Fixed. ;)

I wouldn't recommend buying LED's from Autozone.

Ralphie

Reaction score

Hmmm id like to do LED's in the license plate spot.

Would this be plug and play or would it require modification?

Mikey

Reaction score

Ryder, for 194 amber LEDs, they do just fine. :D

Ralphie, the plate bulbs are 194. If you can find em local, go for it. Otherwise, ya gots ta order em. The little cover just pops off and voila.

As far as turn signal bulbs and flashers, IDK yet. I havent really had a chance to go exploring yet. I dont imagine the flahsers to be too difficult to install. If theyre not plug-n-play, they may require MINOR wiring.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score

LED flashers are plug n play as I mentioned. Pull out the old, plug in the new, done. If you search flasher you'll see a couple threads discussing it.

Mikey

Reaction score

So that brings me to the next decision; do i shell out the $500+ for a set of azn's lights and use LED bulbs or do i hold out for a full LED light?

The latter being unlikely, i know. I could've sworn i had seen someone with a full LED light...

I'll see. That's alot of money and at the moment, it's not something the car needs.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score

That 5-LED piece you're talking about...how does that work? Is it one piece or what?

I'll try just a regular festoon bulb for the dome. As long as its as bright as the filament 194, ill be ok. I dont need the light of the 1000 suns in my car, lol.
seems they changed it a little bit. i have one in the trunk light and one in the plate light...WLED-5 http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=/mini-wedge.html

the LED festoon is bright but its pretty nice. i wouldn't be satisfied with anything less, or anything less than, say, 10-15 normal LEDs given that LEDs are typically dimmer than incandescents.
So that brings me to the next decision; do i shell out the $500+ for a set of azn's lights and use LED bulbs or do i hold out for a full LED light?

The latter being unlikely, i know. I could've sworn i had seen someone with a full LED light...

I'll see. That's alot of money and at the moment, it's not something the car needs.
well...his lights are LEDs, then the lens. LED bulbs dont really show through like his lights or cadillacs or whathaveyou, due to the reflectors and colored lenses inside. whole different ball game...

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score

Your options:

1) Funky's custom tails. LED board (dot pattern) in lower section, you can use LED bulb in upper section = full LED tail light. Expensive since you would pay for the tails and then turn signal LED bulbs. I've seen these in person though, and I like them, though the way he tinted the lense made it a bit dull.

2) Keep OEM tails, use LED bulbs in lower/upper sections. Results in full lit solid shapes (as opposed to a bunch of dots), with no hotspots like there is with the filaments. A high output LED bulb will shine through the OEM lens very well. Only cost is bulbs. This is the approach I took.

3) Red/clear tails. Red LED bulb in lower and amber LED bulb in uppper. Bad thing about these is the red part of the lense does not line up with the center tail light. Not hard to fix though.

3) Crappy aftermarket LED tails. Cheap crap that you do not want.

Mikey

Reaction score

Oh, i know. I had LED bulbs in my last car and while they were great at night, during the day, they were a little difficult to see. Hence my reason to hesitate.

Id hate to pay that much and have such an awesome item on ym car, only to have it use a standard filament bulb in the turn signal. Not cool. Im a "all or nothing" kind of guy.

Back