Noise when air condition is turn on...*vid inside*

ihaveaquestion

Reaction score
98 Honda Accord V-6

Well, this only started happening after replacing the radiator a couple months ago. I was hoping the noise would go away, it's just not happening. It sounds like it's coming from alternator/timing belt area rather than the radiator fan...but I could be wrong.

Check out the vid and let me know what you think:

http://youtu.be/Eqy5Z3cwzQk

Much appreciated!

ihaveaquestion

Reaction score
The valve chatter mostly. (I suspect it could be coming from loose belt too) But why is it so much louder when AC is on? There seems be something in the AC system that triggers the noise.

Condenser? I haven't consider that...in fact, i don't even know where it's located.

AllGOnoSHOW

Reaction score
Well when you use your AC the car is adding the ac compressor / idler blah blah to the belt / pully systems which is why you hear the noise more when your AC is on because it is enganging another pully system as well as your drive belt.

Could be a loose pulley involving your AC pulley components. Could be a loose bolts.

I also know that when you engage AC in alot of cases your IDLE will fall some causing a rougher idler.

valve clatter is usually due your needing your valves adjusted. A lot of Honda's have loud lifters etc.

Also check your header for leaks. If you have leaks at the top of your flange (where it is connects to the block) then your cars lifters and valve sounds will be magnified 100 times over. Trust me.

hancockd

SLO CG2
Reaction score
Shot in the dark, but the condenser?

first thing that came to my mind when I read this..... what the ****. Only sound you would hear from the condenser would be an air leak.

Well when you use your AC the car is adding the ac compressor / idler blah blah to the belt / pully systems which is why you hear the noise more when your AC is on because it is enganging another pully system as well as your drive belt.

Could be a loose pulley involving your AC pulley components. Could be a loose bolts.

That belt is always engaged....only thing that changes when the A/C turns on is that the A/C compressor is actually turning.

More than likely the noise you are hearing is your A/C compressor, I know mine made a decent amount of noise while it was operating.

Back