What is this bolt called? Small leak

Nurb

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I was hoping you could shine some of your expertise and tell me what this plug is called. I have had a small leak for some time and I finally pinpointed it to this plug. The problem is I have no idea what it actually is or what to search for in relation to it. 1999 Accord 5sp 2.3

RUGPI.jpg

Nurb

Reaction score
The oil drain bolt is below it in the oil pan (below the area pictured).

Nurb

Reaction score
Is that common practice? This is my first car so I do not have too much experience.

001Stunna

Reaction score
Coolant drain plug
78345172.gif

Do you see leaking oil or leaking coolant?
If leaking oil, it could be the distributor o-ring, switch above the oil filter, oil filter itself not being on tight.
If coolant, then its probably that.

Uh oil drain bolt...
With all due respect...really????
Multiple places to drain oil, no?
oil will either drain through the drain plug(where its meant to come out from) on the oil pan or through a gasket or leak or etc(where its not meant to come out from).

Last edited:

AFAccord

Reaction score
That looks like the bolt that you remove to line up the rear balance shaft with a dowel. I'd pull it and replace that crush washer with a new one.

Nurb

Reaction score
Coolant drain plug
78345172.gif

Do you see leaking oil or leaking coolant?
If leaking oil, it could be the distributor o-ring, switch above the oil filter, oil filter itself not being on tight.
If coolant, then its probably that.

With all due respect...really????

oil will either drain through the drain plug(where its meant to come out from) on the oil pan or through a gasket or leak or etc(where its not meant to come out from).

Thank you for the picture, it is definitely coolant that has been dripping in the driveway. I am assuming the washer will need to be replaced, but will I lose all my coolant in the process?

Back