UTI worth the money? Thinking about a career change.

Swollkat

Reaction score
I was thinking about attending UTI to be an auto tech specializing in performance (Honda). I'm great with electronics and mechanical theory and techs always seem to be in demand. Anyone going to UTI here? Is it a ripoff like some other trade schools? Let me know. Thx.:thumbsup:

BTW UTI=Universal Technical Institute not Urinary Tract Infection

accordc1

Reaction score
yea most of it its ok i go there right now. It will be very boring if you can handle that then you are fine.

pyaarawala

Reaction score
lol @ Urinacy Tract Infection.

Do whatever makes you happy. After all, life is the pursuit of happiness.

Accord_V6_400m

Reaction score
Nah not really worth it, just go to some community college.

I managed without any schooling to get hired by Mercedes just based on my enthusiasm and personality. So long as you have some schooling and can prove yourself you'll be good. I don't work there anymore or any dealer as a mechanic since im back in school but I wanted to try it and I think its worth exploring if you really like it/

Some Wyotech students were telling me its not worth it, at least for the price they charge.

Plus some techs are upset that they are changing the hours they get for certain work. They get paid based on how many hours the job takes regardless of how long it takes them, blackbook rate. From time to time they'll have a tech do some work and based on that the dealer or I forget maybe Mercedes or any other car company for that matter low the amount of hours you get like an AC job or other stuff that was considered easy money.

This is one of those physical jobs where you start off as an apprentice and after like half a year of getting $10/hr lets say. I think fed. min is $7.50/hr if you dont have tools and 15.00/hr if you do. After you feel like your qucik and good enough to do work by black book hours then you get paid a certain amount per hours based on experience and then that just gets multiplied by how many hours you accomplished that day.

You might get tired of the work after some years and want to do something less physical happens to a lot of people.

Hopefuly this helps you out a little :)

Annual pay thus varies greatly, sometimes like back in the day you could get 80-100K a year but now its more like 60k but can ngo as low as 40K.

Last edited:

Swollkat

Reaction score
Good lookin out fellas. I'm a systems analyst and soon I can be a consultant that can pay up to 80k. The only downfall is that I haven't finished my bachelors yet. It's funny that I get to school people who have masters degrees. Just goes to show that more schooling doesn't necessarily make you better.

MikeyMike

Reaction score
I took collision in Barans Institute in CT. UTI seems to be a lot more focused on your future, in Barans it was a "work if you want to basis" which should of been fixed. i was going to go to UTI but their collision program is in Houston, and im in NY i didnt want to travel that far. long story short, i make good money now working at a body shop so i dont regret it at all

BPAccord

*DAIGAKUSOTSU*
Reaction score
my buddie graduated from UTI....he now works for BMW....living the high life at 25.....for my son's bday he bought him a BMW onesie outfit....looks like hes doing really really good

Back