tranny fluid change

kman

Reaction score
quick question- should the fluid be cold, or hot/warm when dropped??

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Don't matter.

You have 6qts in the trans, 3 in the 'trans pan'. You can only drain 3, hot or cold.

schmiddr2

Reaction score
Change it 2 times or more to get more of the old fluid out. But I changed it when warm, mostly it just sped up the draining.

briansan

Reaction score
yeah, if we remember from our high school chemistry, heat means faster molecules. cold slows things down.
so advantage of warm trans fluid would be a faster flow of the liquid

goldenchamp

Reaction score
I've done it warm. Is it an auto or manual? If it's a manual, then Honda just recommends a simple drain and fill. I believe automatics require a flush, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that!

A word to the wise on tranny fluid, stay away from ANYTHING other than Genuine Honda fluid, manual or automatic. That's part of the problem with the auto trannys blowing even after the recall has been performed. Hondas tend to be finicky on fluids. An independent spe******t once told me he would only put non-Honda engine oil and brake fluid in his personal car.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
the 'flush':

not req'd, used by Honda dealers to 'fix' neglect to them by owners not doing a regular D&F.

Honda's are very strange...our automatic is closer to a manual trans than a 'normal' auto, no planetary gears! So have a look at our manual trans fluid, which uses a fluid like 30wt , instead of common 'thicker' 70wt (er something). So don't even concern yourself with store-bought ATF unless it says "Honda ONLY".

xci.ed6

Reaction score
some synchro is an additive, IDK what that is for wt.

Real engine oil is called for in many aftermarket manuals, but it's missing that additive stuff. So most gear changes end up grinding.

Back