Out with the old, In with the new.

kashmeister

Reaction score
So, some of you may know...
I'm 16, and when summer started I had like $7k saved up and I wanted a car. I went to tons of dealer auctions and almost got a car each time. I was looking for something stick, fun, and good looking.

I didn't find anything. All the Japanese cars were expensive because of the earthquake and gas prices. Few cars were manual, and they looked trash. I bid on some mini coopers, civics, 6ga :)D), rsx, etc. but no luck at a sick win.

I gave up and hit up craigslist, looking for cars i liked. I really wanted to get an old 325is (84-91), but all the old cars around chicago are rust buckets. One of them I saw had a fking crown royal shift boot. I was like WTF man, you wanna get **** when you get pulled over??? Some needed headgaskets, some needed engines, etc. I began expanding my search to a newer crappier cars. I found high mileage BMWs but they were all around the 10k point.

I test drove an old 7 series at the auction and I wanted to see what they went for on CL. Same thing, around 10k for the good ones. I narrowed it down to 740s because I didn't want the trouble of the v12 750.

I did a quick search one day, I found a Titanium Silver BMW 740iL with Sport Package in CLEAN condition for 7800$. I went to see it, test drove it, and came back at night and gave the guy $6360.

Since then... I found out a lot of things:
-Disconnecting the battery bricks the Radio/NAV ECU
-The car's security freaked out...had to get cluster changed for $460 AFTER a 50% BMWNA discount
-Someone installed concealed radars (K40) at one point
-The electornic shocks ($1500 each) were replaced with normal ones
-Needs suspension work
-Needs brake work
-Tires are dry rotted
-Has a minor vacuum leak
-All fluids should probably get changed

I should've got a japanese car... I mean I expected problems and more complicated repairs, but not stuff this retarded haha

I don't wanna be a dick you you guys, sorry I left the Honda family. I will be back later on in my life. Honda's are awesome.

Don't buy a German car. Seriously. I had more fun with the accord.

Oh and about the accord: I got rear ended a few days ago. We'll see what were gonna do with it. My phone flew and hit the windshield and cracked in half. I'm going to report that too, my phone was one of those nice android ones.

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/89/img4676f.jpg/]

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Yikes, should have done your research man, or at least had a mechanic look it over. If you kept looking you could have found a 3-Series or 5-Series close to your budget and they over would be much less to maintain. But the e38 is an awesome car, it is my hope that after this hump it is easier on your wallet. Congrats and take good care of it. Sorry about the Accord.

Here's some inspiration.

BMW-e38-740i-745-slammed-sedan-vip-03.jpg

Last edited:

MaddMike24

Reaction score
damn bro that sucks.. everyone takes a loss sometimes.. sucks it had to happen to you

kashmeister

Reaction score
Yikes, should have done your research man, or at least had a mechanic look it over. If you kept looking you could have found a 3-Series or 5-Series close to your budget and they over would be much less to maintain. But the e38 is an awesome car, it is my hope that after this hump it is easier on your wallet. Congrats and take good care of it. Sorry about the Accord.

Here's some inspiration.

BMW-e38-740i-745-slammed-sedan-vip-03.jpg

;) I have my own folder. I'll post up my plans for the bimmer.
And that car is mojoloco's or something. I think he was running Nex or FK coilovers.

In all honesty, why didnt you get the car inspected somewhere before buying it???

I did inspect it. I brought a mechanic. lol

But most of the problems came after I bought it. But yea, I guess I should've looked at it more carefully. Needs the typical 100k mile BMW repairs: control arms, gaskets, fan clutch, etc but I took the chance. I think I got a pretty good deal, its an 01 with 108k miles. My thoughts were that even if it is a little messed up I can get it fixed up and still keep rolling. Its not as bad as I made it sound, but it was frustrating as hell to buy the car, and have it sit for a month because because of the security problems.

To be honest, it was kind of sketchy, Carfax showed mileage discrepency (i think because of bad pixels), but thankfully the true mileage was 108k. I bought it saaying 104k but meh, you win some you lose some. Its not that big of a deal.

The guy said it sat for a year in his garage. And the tires are OK, but no going crazy on the highway, I don't want a blowout. Happened driving my friends A6 at 70MPH, lucky I'm alive. I think its because someone put on tire dressing and it sucked out the moisture from the rubber.

Cars are money pits. Good luck man!:peace:

Learn the lesson and move on.

+1, never give up

And suprisingly, my insurance is like $400 a year for full coverage :D
I was like, I've had my license for a year... WTF?

Honda4Life

Reaction score
"don't buy German"

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I would have to disagree with you 10000000000000%

You were better off saying don't buy a car without a full inspection!

yes German cars are expensive to fix but if you find a nice one, like I did, they can last just as long as Jap cars.

Ie) I bought my BMW with 92K from an old nurse that drove it from her work (15 mile commute) home and to the store...I put about 130k on it and beat the crap out of it and it held up well...

Now if I were to buy that same car from someone that beat the crap out of it... I would have had more problems with the car.

You're young and take this as a lesson.

One thing I have learned in life is when you are making a purchase people, in general, will make the purchase based on emotion rather than logic. You should ALWAYS take another person with you that a) can help you inspect b) knows about that kind of car and c) does not have that emotional investment in the car so he/she can easily tell you to take off or buy it.

I have saved a friend from buying a crappy M3 twice now...not trying to pat myself on the back but while he was driving the car and seeing himself in it was listen to things and asking questions that he may have over looked.

My 2 cents.

But good luck with the BMW...I would get a compression test done on the engine and consider doing a drain and fill on the tranny (BMW says life time fluid but that is BS...do a 3X drain and fill and the last time change he tranny filter)

This site will be your best friend

Autohausaz.com
Pelicanparts.com is okay too but more $$$

Lemforder will be the best brand you can buy when it comes to suspension

kashmeister

Reaction score
And here is the LIST:

1. Clean/Paint front brakes + torque
2. Paint rear caliper + replace + torque DON’T GET ANTISIEZE ON RUBBER
3. Flush Brake Fluid
4. Install springs + control arms
5. Diff Fluid
6. Transmission fluid + filter + gasket
7. Seafoam
8. Remove VC, paint, gaskets, check timing chain
9. Clean intake manifold and replace gaskets/hoses
10. Engine Oil + Pan gasket +magnetic plug (tighten oil pump bolts)
11. Flush coolant, Radiator trim, fan clutch
12. Change fuel filter
13. Polish headlights + wire angel eyes + seal xenon wires
14. Have quad exhaust cut out and welded
15. Change cabin filters (link1 link2)
16. Reinforce side seat covers
17. degrease engine/ps
18. Adjust sunroof (http://www.meeknet.co.uk/E38/Moonroof/Index.htm)
19. Rear Window regulator
20. Install inverter / tire inflator
21. Blacken dark trim
22. Fix crooked fender + debadge
23. Remove drip rail and paint clips black
24. Get scratches/chips/rust/pinstrip taken care of
25. Clean/Condition leather
26. Grease hinges, latches, gears, etc and clean latches
27. Finish up wiring angel eyes
28. Remove rear seats +fix console + remove deck + clean 3rd brake +new speakers
29. Glue front ashttray
30. Fix rear ashtray
31. Fix front cupholder (http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/308465)
32. Clean and install rear cupholder

1. Elec fan
2. Nav computer
3. Mirrors
4. BMW OBD Software/Device
5. Wheel spacers
6. Strut bar
7. Intake manifold parts
8. Ipass
9. Speakers
10. Subs
11. 16:9 nav retrofit

I dont have time for day by day updates, but I will keep you guys informed.
I really learned a lot from everyone here, you guys are really knowledgable and without you guys I probably would be at this level now.

And tech question. I got some anti-sieze on the brake pads and the car was pulling to the left on hard braking. I think its a little better now, but do you guys think I should take off the pads and sand them down? or use brake cleaner??? or will it just burn off The pads are ceramic.

Honda4Life

Reaction score
To be honest, it was kind of sketchy, Carfax showed mileage discrepency (i think because of bad pixels), but thankfully the true mileage was 108k. I bought it saaying 104k but meh, you win some you lose some. Its not that big of a deal.

SOOOOOOOOOO SKETCH

I would have ran away!!!!

Good luck trying to re-sell it...

Plan on driving it till it blows up!

The E38 is a solid car...right after the E34...

GL :driving:

Honda4Life

Reaction score
And here is the LIST:

I dont have time for day by day updates, but I will keep you guys informed.
I really learned a lot from everyone here, you guys are really knowledgable and without you guys I probably would be at this level now.

And tech question. I got some anti-sieze on the brake pads and the car was pulling to the left on hard braking. I think its a little better now, but do you guys think I should take off the pads and sand them down? or use brake cleaner??? or will it just burn off The pads are ceramic.

The first thing I would check is your tire pressure

Then I would inspect your pads (see if one side is thicker than the other)

Your calipers may be sticking...I would do a full caliper cleaning and change the brake fluid....

Back