Out with the old, In with the new.

Honda4Life

Reaction score
BMW approved this?!?! :deal:

The only reason I say stick with OEM is that if the fluid has never been changed in 100k you may be risking it going to syn but if it has then you should be okay..

I would use Red Line before Mobil 1

kashmeister

Reaction score
I might have mis-read this

So you got anti-s on the part of the pad that touches the rotor?

Well in that case I would take it apart and clean it (as that should take you no longer than 1 hour)

if that doesn't solve it I would then go with the items already talked about

And yes use break clean...not too sure about sanding them

did you break in the pads and rotors correctly?

YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER THAT EVERY PAD REQUIRES A DIFFERENT BREAK IN PROCEDURE....I hope you didn't go out there stomping on your brakes to heat cycle it....

This may be a potential warp in the working and a back bedding

Yea I did. followed the MFR instructions. It was 5x agressive 40-10 and 5x moderate 35 to 5 and drive a little to let them cool. I definitly think its the antisieze though, the weaker braking is on the side that got messy during the installed. and after some driving, i noticed that the left (brakes better) was cooler than the right side. Makes sense to me because brakes get hotter because they are slipping more due to antisieze. i really dont think its a coincidence

im going to clean them with a solvent and repeat the break in procedure

kashmeister

Reaction score
BMW approved this?!?! :deal:

The only reason I say stick with OEM is that if the fluid has never been changed in 100k you may be risking it going to syn but if it has then you should be okay..

I would use Red Line before Mobil 1

I think the fluid has been changed. But I read somewhere that Mobil1 now owns Esso and its pretty much the same ****. It meets the BMW specs.

And searching the formulas, e38 guys run either valvoline or mobil1. but now valvoline changed their formula so i dont want to risk it with them.

well see how it goes.

kashmeister

Reaction score
I can help you with what fluid to use...

I can't help you with a slipping tranny

GL

:goyou:

Who said its slipping?? haha
it shifts perfectly every time, but not as unnoticeable and smooth as it could be. flush and filter should take care of it, imo
its probably the water that got in it. 1 month before it was perfect.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
the E38s were never, ever meant to be cheap cars. the parts will never get cheaper. they (and other flagships) had technology in them that few/no other cars received until years later, which led to further issues. these are the cars the original owners dropped off at the dealership and came back with a blank check to pay for the service.

this is what happens when you buy a car that once sold for about 80 grand for less than a tenth of that, 10 years later, with over 100k :poke:

That is exactly what I was going to say. Further more, the reason why it is so cheap is due to the price to maintain them. That's why Benz's go for stupid cheap with high mileage. The price of parts are not going to change over 10 years, no matter what the resale.

On top of that, something that isn't rare is going to be hard to sell. Nobody is really looking for a run of the mill luxury car that is a decade or more old. It's really hard to get a fair price.

If it is rare, then you get into an accident, your car is done as it doesn't have good resale, but you can't find another one, especially for what your insurance will pay out. I have had a few friends with various 80's M3's, M5's, and one with an M6, as well as just very clean 3 series. Some have been totaled out due to poor blue book but were pretty valuable to the right buyer. They ended up getting screwed.

My advice would be to just figure out if you can afford it and go from there. If you can, have fun with it. If it's going to drain you, it may be in your best interest to sell now. For someone like me, right now, in this economy, that car would have to sit because I just couldn't afford it. I will admit that I can't do all the regular maintenance that isn't absolutely critical on my Honda right now. Believe it or not, it's usually easier to own a car when you are younger, after you make the initial purchase. You lack expenses, you usually can get a ride or even can borrow a car when yours breaks, parents may be willing to lend you a bit, etc.

Sorry, don't want to be a downer but I have a car with far more issues, is far less reliable, and is much more expensive to maintain than yours. It isn't my DD, or even a weekend car right now, but at one point it was. I love the car, plus it was a father/son thing so he paid a lot of it, even then it was a huge pain.

Back