window tinting

fatmatt530

Reaction score
I'm looking into getting my windows tinted pretty soon here, but not sure on how dark to go. I know that there is a tint law in CA for the front 2, but i'm not sure what it is. I have a naples gold 02 sedan. Do you guys think it would look to funky to do super dark in the rear 3 and none up front? I don't want to get a ticket or any reason to get pulled over so I want it to be legal up front. I was also hoping some of you guys could post some pics of your tints. I wanna see what looks good.

Thanks in advance!

Jephu

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Can I put after-market tinting on the windows of my vehicle?
The main requirements for legal window tinting in California are:

The windshield and front driver's side and passenger's side windows cannot receive any aftermarket tinting.
If the rear window of a vehicle is tinted, the vehicle must have outside rearview mirrors on both sides.
The law prohibits any person from driving any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows, with certain limited exceptions.

However, legislation signed into law effective January 1, 1999, exempts from the above prohibition specified clear, colorless, and transparent material that is installed, affixed, or applied to the front driver and passenger side windows for the specific purpose of reducing ultraviolet rays. If, as, or when this material becomes torn, bubbled or otherwise worn, it must be removed or replaced."

5% 3M Color Stable tint on back 3 windows and none up front.

Jephu4.jpg

Last edited:

cjsaccord

Reaction score
Here is mine, I have 35 percent on the sides, and 20 percent on the rear window since the back window looks lighter since the windshield lets so much light in so it makes it look like 50. My parents car is a sedan and has 5 percent on the rear window, and 20 percent on the rear doors, with 35 on the front doors looks clean.
SAM_0416.jpg
SAM_0409-1.jpg
SAM_0421.jpg

Last edited:

Nick1130

Reaction score
sorry for jacking the thread but im getting mine tomorrow for my red accord and thinking of going 20% all around except windshield ! would that look decent?

Honda4Life

Reaction score
sorry for jacking the thread but im getting mine tomorrow for my red accord and thinking of going 20% all around except windshield ! would that look decent?

To OP - It matter what you like but Cali says NO TINT AT ALL on your fronts...then again I have been cruising the BMW with 35% for like 4 years...CHP are the ones that care the most!

To Nick...I have never liked the ALL AROUND look rather dark on the rear and "smoked" 20-35% on the front...then again this is my opinion and to each his own.

Just know this...the lighter inside the care the lighter the tint will look and vis versa.

Just make sure you are aware that on the rear window (top part) we have bubbles...now b/c of this the tint will not adhere well and will show signs of blochiness you have three options
a) dont tint if that bothers you
b) live with it
c) tell the tint shop to use Elmers Glue (white stuff) in that area when they lay the tint down and that will get rid of ~90% of the problem

I hope that helps everyone! :eek:

Back