Parts to replace at this mileage??

Connie

Reaction score
You don't need to change the oil every 3500 miles, especially if you're running synthetic. Anything under 5000 miles is a waste of money, unless you live in the desert or somewhere ridiculously dusty. Your plugs should last at least 50k, too. Just keep them cleaned and gapped.

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
You don't need to change the oil every 3500 miles, especially if you're running synthetic. Anything under 5000 miles is a waste of money, unless you live in the desert or somewhere ridiculously dusty. Your plugs should last at least 50k, too. Just keep them cleaned and gapped.

Even if your oil is black at 3k?

GrubbyHonda

Reaction score
yeah my oil is still golden at 3k miles and at 194k over all. my mobil 1 oil filter though i replace every 2-3 oil changes.

Connie

Reaction score
yeah my oil is still golden at 3k miles and at 194k over all. my mobil 1 oil filter though i replace every 2-3 oil changes.

Do the oil AND filter every 5k. Your oil is probably only golden at 3k because the flow through your re-used filter is restricted. It's like 10 bucks for a filter.

GrubbyHonda

Reaction score
Do the oil AND filter every 5k. Your oil is probably only golden at 3k because the flow through your re-used filter is restricted. It's like 10 bucks for a filter.

yeah but a mobil 1 filter that can last 15k miles according to them doesnt need to be changed out ever 3-5k miles. it will still filter out. especially if my oil before i changed the oil filter wasnt bad either.

Connie

Reaction score
yeah but a mobil 1 filter that can last 15k miles according to them doesnt need to be changed out ever 3-5k miles. it will still filter out. especially if my oil before i changed the oil filter wasnt bad either.

Every time you change the oil, you change the filter, period.
Sometimes the maintenance interval for certain vehicles can be as high as 15k. That's why the filter says that. It doesn't mean leave it until 15k if your recommended maintenance interval is 5k (8k Canadian).

Read the manual; for our cars it's change the oil and the filter every 5,000 miles/8,000 kilometres.

That's why the main't req'd light starts flashing when it does.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The rationale for changing the filter at the same time as the oil is if your filter plugs up, it will go into bypass mode and then you won't have any filtration at all. I believe some motors when they are cold may operate in bypass mode until the oil thins out enough to be able to flow through the filter, (a diesel at 0 degrees running non synthetic 15/40 for example) but I would not want to be putting miles on the motor like that. To the poster who mentioned black oil at 3k miles, it's likely your pcv system is not functioning. (valve is likely clogged) If your gas motor blackens the oil like a diesel (with aggressive egr programming for nox emissions), something is not right!

I used to know a girl who was making payments on a VW but didn't want to pay to maintain it, and a guy who wanted to sleep with her changed the oil but didn't know how to do the filter (since it wasn't a spin on cartridge) well, the motor was seized about a month later.

To the o.p. 194k on a timing belt, I know what would happen if I took that car for a test drive..snap! That'd be my luck.

Back