Car is not starting normally...

rayfinkle5

Reaction score
I have had this problem twice now when it is hot and we have been running the AC. I turn the key and the car starts, idles rough and then dies. I turn the key again, this time giving it gas, and the car starts, continues to run rough for a bit longer and then dies again. I wait a moment... turn the key again, while giving it gas, it starts, runs rough and then after a few seconds idles normal. I fear that eventually I may not be able to get the car started at all if I let this issue persist.

Any thoughts what is causing this and what I can do to correct it?

My car is a 2000 V6 model with an auto trans. Thanks.

001Stunna

Reaction score
Alternator? Fuelpump? Mainrelay?

As for what you can do...check the voltage in the battery when the car does get running? Leave the a/c, stereo and other electronics off when you do this. If voltage on the battery is low when the car is running, might mean your alternator cannot keep things running and hence car dies.

Leave the doors open before you try staring it for 5-10 minutes/or put a fan inside and leave it running to cool down the driver underdash. Retry again...if all works ok, could be your main relay.

Does the fuel pump prime when you turn the key to 2nd position? Try turning the key to second and then off...repeat 3-4 times and then start the car. Does it stay on longer? or still die out? have someone listen to the fuelpump and see if its making any sort of noise once the car is started and as it dies.

Last edited:

rayfinkle5

Reaction score
Search heat soak... I learn to live with it.

I think that is exactly what I am dealing with. Does it ever lead to not starting at all and becoming stranded? The fix I found seems quite expensive. Have you found anything that helps reduce or eliminate the problem?

cl206

Reaction score
I think that is exactly what I am dealing with. Does it ever lead to not starting at all and becoming stranded? The fix I found seems quite expensive. Have you found anything that helps reduce or eliminate the problem?

If your car always starts when its cold it might be the heat soak. and if it is, and ur experiencing the rough idle and shutdown, then just wait like 30 minutes or more. For me it used to happen about 15 to 20 or so minutes after I shut off a hot engine. Try to replicate that at will and you can learn to live with it. I got mine done cuz I wanna keep my car 4ever.

Good luck!

Back