DIY: Front speaker mounting ring

xmsleepr

Reaction score
I was following This speaker install tutorial which was VERY thorough but I ran into a problem when the speaker I was trying to install did not fit the factory speaker enclosure...
IMG00146-20091224-1648.jpg

now this is where i got creative instead of going out to buy a mounting ring/spacer because i could not mount the speaker right on the sheetmetal either because the hole was to big.

IMG00147-20091224-1649.jpg

so i took out the little enclosure thing

IMG00148-20091224-1650.jpg

grabbed a hold of one of the sides firmly with a set of pliers...

IMG00149-20091224-1651.jpg

and twisted!

the plastic is hard but it just snaps I wouldnt recommend using a knife because the plastic is too hard and it might slip easily
with the pliers just work your way around just hold it tightly and twist it out and it will break off just the piece held by the pliers...

IMG00150-20091224-1655.jpg

Thats the finished product not to pretty to look at but functional

IMG00151-20091224-1655.jpg

I test fitted the speaker and the jagged edges did not get in the way of the cone so it made no sense to clean it up but if it looks like they hit the cone just keep bending away with the pliers until its even.

Now you just need to get some small half inch SELF-DRILLING SHEETMETAL screws and drill the speakers in the ring that you have now made since most likely the original holes wont work

the original thread has a very good method on integrating the speaker connectors to the factory wiring and very clear pictures on dissecting the original plug but i found it to be an unnecessary step.

IMG00153-20091224-1657.jpg

basically just pop the clips to expose the wires...

IMG00156-20091224-1658.jpg

insert a small flathead between the plastic edge and the metal female spade inside and while pushing away the plastic with the screwdriver pull the wire from the other end...
takes a couple of tries but comes out very easily

IMG00157-20091224-1659.jpg

now that you have the two wires out of there simply take the pliers and squeeze them, to close the gap a little

IMG00158-20091224-1700.jpg

and wiggle them into aftermarket speaker spade :)

IMG00163-20091224-1705.jpg

and your done!

this is completely reversible if you decide to install the factory speakers back on simple insert a flathead inside the spade connector to open them up again and push em back into the original plug and the factory speaker will install perfectly into the modified ring.

inv4zn

Reaction score
Sweet, with pics and everything haha

Good job! Hope it helps someone trying to fit speakers...heh

tckm

Reaction score
nice diy
i did this a while ago
i used a hacksaw and the cuts were quite a bit more straight than yours

xmsleepr

Reaction score
I recently bought a dremel but what originally happend was that I pulled my door panel armed with my drill and self-drilling screws and got suck when I ran into the problem that my speakers didn't fit and my hand saw didn't seem safe...so I came up with this on the spot and decided to take pictures as I went.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
i personally dont own one
:smash:
they're amazing

you dont know what youre missing :lawl:
I recently bought a dremel but what originally happend was that I pulled my door panel armed with my drill and self-drilling screws and got suck when I ran into the problem that my speakers didn't fit and my hand saw didn't seem safe...so I came up with this on the spot and decided to take pictures as I went.
the honda plastic is so easy to cut with a dremel...i've done so many things...
nice work. i had to make a 3/4" wooden ring in order to get my speakers to fit
should use plastic cutting boards from target or wherever...wood is bad when it gets wet.

i have MDF spacers but my doors don't really get wet it seems. HDPE plastic will be going in in a couple months though ;)

f23accord2000

Reaction score
i did the same thing also what a pain in the *** it was and they where boston acoustic speakers too for mine nothing lined up had to make my own holes

Back