★ Russianred's 1991 Fully Built Turbo Integra ★

flowhard

Reaction score
So I'm a new member and new to forums all together, i don't post but I'm always glued to 6ga reading everything i can in the time I'm allowed. If i see something i can help with I'll reply and try to help.

So i talked to my brother in law who has owned and raced integras, he's huge on imports and i asked him if he recognized the black box and what it was. He said it was for the PCV valve and it is a catch but also a vacuum. He said you don't want to delete it. Supposedly the box is just for oil and allows it to flow one way. There obviously shouldn't be chocolate milk. So either it is hooked up wrong or you have an issue with a head gasket.

I'm not sure how accurate this whole thing is because i haven't been able to find anything on it, so hopefully this helps you somehow.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
^ You sir are the MAN. :Rock on: REPPED!!!

I just got my first solid answer. That makes sense what you say, I'm just going to clean it out well and leave it alone. I think the guy who had it before be lied to me about the head gasket (no big deal). I think his started to leak and then and he decided to sell the car hahaha.. Little did he know it's a simple fix! I'm just going to re-assemble everything the RIGHT way, and then should be all good.

Igor

Under construction
Reaction score
This looks like a "homemade" cooler/radiator for your extra oil lines for your turbo. It's kinda weird; so it has oil and coolant line connected to it or just oil? Should only be oil if I'm right at all...

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
^ Should be only oil, but when I saw chocolate milk in there I was wondering about coolant.. I have since attributed the chocolate milk to head gasket failure, so it makes sense that the black box would be for oil/vacuum only.

Igor

Under construction
Reaction score
^ Should be only oil, but when I saw chocolate milk in there I was wondering about coolant.. I have since attributed the chocolate milk to head gasket failure, so it makes sense that the black box would be for oil/vacuum only.

Usually any kinda lil moisture/air will turn oil into "chocolate milk" + if it's just a catcher probably was never cleaned out. It might "just be working" only not 100% efficient

flowhard

Reaction score
Thanks man glad i could help! Yeah he probably just pawned off the issue to you thinking it was harder than it really is. Just clean it out and hook it all up right, it's worth a shot right? Lol good luck

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys! I guess better to over think it and think it's worse than it really is, than having it be worse for real and not being prepared for it haha. :thumbsup:

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Head is back on, cams WERE back on, but then realized that 7 out of the 20 cam cap holes are stripped! Bummer, but not too big of a deal.. Just an opportunity to make this weak point stronger! Was weighing the decision on whether to use stock bolts and install Time-Serts, or just tap the head for 10mm cam cap bolts instead of the stock 8mm ones. I figured that since the some stock bolts snapped and others stretched and tore some threads right out, the larger bolts will NEVER snap.. and it will be unlikely that they tear the threads. I think I'm going to go that route. There is simply not enough casting room in the head to use both Time-Serts AND larger botls - but ideally this is what I would have wanted to do.

Thought and ideas welcome. Pic is a few hours old, everything else is on already except for the cams.

IMG_20140216_010004_887_zps2vpabprt.jpg

Last edited:

Igor

Under construction
Reaction score
I'm taking donations of turbo integras, stripped bolts not a problem. Eh?

Back