DIY: Switchblade Key

Mikey

Reaction score
Alright folks! I know there was/is a thread floating around here or V6P about a switchblade key but last I knew it didn't look like a Honda fob, was expensive, time consuming and rather frustrating. The parts for this cost less than $20 and depending on your local dealer, getting the keys cut and programmed shouldn't cost more that $25.

As always; PERFORM AT YOUR OWN RISK. If you have multiple keys/fobs and can afford to cut them up, then go ahead. If you have only one key/fob, I highly suggest buying a spare key from the link(s) provided or from the dealer. Even if you have only one fob, this is virtually reversible so if you choose to go back all you have to do is keep your old fob and put it back together later.

V--------PARTS--------V​

The switchblade. I suggest ordering from AutoAftermarket.....
http://www.amazon.com/Keyless-Buttons-Folding-Insight-2000-2003/dp/B00K117FME/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419239868&sr=8-1&keywords=Keyless+Entry+Switch+Modify+4+Buttons+Folding+Flip+Remote+Fob+Key+Shell+Case+for+Honda

The key blank w/chip.....(It has to be a T5. That is CRUCIAL!)
http://www.amazon.com/Ignition-Transponder-Blank-Chip-T5-Honda/dp/B006FSUFX8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419240059&sr=8-1&keywords=New+Ignition+Transponder+Key+Blank+Chip-T5+For+Honda

V--------TOOLS--------V​

1. Small Philips head screwdriver. The key blank comes with one but it kinda sucked, lol.

2. Scissors, razor blade, exact-o knife, etc--some sort of small cutting device.

3. Pliers or snips.

4. Small flathead screwdriver or prying tool.--OPTIONAL.

V--------STEPS--------V​

1. Buy above parts. You don't NEED the spare key but I only have the one and I wasn't about go chopping up my only key. Plus, it's cheap.

E3A8F1E4-2E7B-4ADC-937B-C30A4D688608_zpsinakvh6b.jpg

(Don't mind the cuts, I forgot to get a pic before cutting, lol.)

6290DF77-C046-4FBC-B844-5474FBF4395F_zpsnlzptpcz.jpg

2. Take apart the switchblade. Remove the 3 little screws on the back. Be careful not to lose anything as there are a couple of small parts inside.

05FD464D-2994-4E87-8EBA-290C774F43D6_zpsamjazwge.jpg

3. --TAKE BLANK KEY (before cutting open) AND SWITCHBLADE KEY TO DEALER-- I got lucky and my dealer didn't charge me anything. Parts guy told me that buying a blank T5 key from them gets you a free program and that he usually doesn't charge anything to physically cut the key(s). He went ahead and cut both the blanks and programmed the chip.

3b. Id say make sure they fit your car/locks before leaving as mine were a little rough. It fit and they work but they required a little finesse at first.

4. Let's go ahead and get the chip out of the key. Snip the end of the plastic part of the key. Mine popped off and the 2 little H's were actually covers for the empty space that housed the chip. Removing those covers allowed the chip to all but fall out.

E2736907-DB5E-4DE4-AA2C-BFB9F73B8CCB_zps3dhpu3lk.jpg

5. Over to the switchblade fob. It came with buttons, I found them to be clunky and kinda cheap so I ended up using the button pad out of my OEM fob. I just had to trim a bit off the bottom and the sides to fit. Nothing that effected how it fits in the original fob.

6627AB87-63F7-4AD2-80A7-C4AF5EA33AC9_zpsecktdapb.jpg

5b. Inside the BACK of the body you'll see what looks like a brace or "holder" for the battery/back of the remote board. I had to trim the bottom 2 pieces accordingly so that everything would fit.

0A89362F-435A-4749-936D-F0D2B6AE04D6_zps4p6typn6.jpg

5c. At the top of the fob is the space for the chip. It didn't quite fit so I had to shave/scrape it out with a knife so that the chip fit snug. You want it to fit SNUG--you don't want it to be loose and fall out.

D6534C7A-5A3B-4C8B-A32B-8E32052C3046_zpsxr2wa64t.jpg

6. Place your buttons inside the fob, put the chip in the space for it(I chose to place a small piece of the provided foam over it but its not necessary).....
154E16F5-BD0F-4EB0-BF77-2C0E65BA207E_zpsv7efqjtr.jpg

...place the remote board in, put the key and spring in place and re-attach everything.

^^^ I found this to be the hardest part of the whole thing. Trying not to push the buttons, trying to hold everything in, keeping the key ring at the bottom in place and winding the backing plate into the spring and twisting it around and into place. This is where a bit of patience comes in handy, lol.

And there you have it. Your brand new, switchblade key. :headbang:

7376F572-300D-4857-815F-F46671EBDEC2_zpsnjqdcadc.jpg

03B9EAD4-43C2-45CA-8DAA-07ADC42F21C1_zpsraghda1e.jpg

The key ring at the bottom is optional and can possibly even be trimmed to accommodate rings better. My key ring fits but its too big to fold over like I want it to so that may just be the key ring itself. If you have any questions feel free to post or ask.

And as always, have fun! :waytogo:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Awesome DIY Michael. Repped and added to Master list.

You said he informed you that buying a blank T5 key from the dealer gets you a free program and that he usually doesn't charge anything to physically cut them, but you bought your blank online, right? Just trying to see if I can use this when I call them to have this done, my experience with key costs has been different at various dealerships.

Second question, they can cut a key attached to a switchblade mechanism the same way they cut one normally? So you don't need to take the key out of the switchblade case?

Last, does the switchblade case feel solid and nothing rattles inside or feels loose after you finished?

Last edited:

Mikey

Reaction score
You said he informed you that buying a blank T5 key from the dealer gets you a free program and that he usually doesn't charge anything to physically cut them, but you bought your blank online, right? Just trying to see if I can use this when I call them to have this done, my experience with key costs has been different at various dealerships.
He did tell me that but I did buy my key online. Before calling my local dealer and asking, I went off the last known cost of getting a key cut and programmed of about $75. Figured if I had the key already all I would really need from it was a programmed chip and places like Ace Hardware and even little local locksmiths are able to program chips so I figured I'd have a decent chance of getting it programmed for cheaper than the dealer. I called the dealer just for ****s-n-giggles to see what they'd charge me to cut and/or program a chip. That's when he told me that a T5 blank runs about $22 and that he'd program and cut it for free if I bought it from him. --This is where your cost and experiences may differ.-- I went in literally 5 minutes before they closed, on a Saturday. And he stayed with me talking about the fobs, chips, and cutting the keys. So if you talk a good game or are even honest with the guy and explain what you're doing; he may do you a favor. I'd call and get prices first.

Second question, they can cut a key attached to a switchblade mechanism the same way they cut one normally? So you don't need to take the key out of the switchblade case?
--NO-- the little key piece HAS TO COME OUT. I took it to him in one piece thinking they could just cut it as-is and he told me it wouldn't fit and that I'd have to open it up and remove the key piece. I then proceeded to make a mess of his counter by taking it all apart right there, lol, so I suggest doing that at home and bringing in the keys alone.

Last, does the switchblade case feel solid and nothing rattles inside or feels loose after you finished?
I used a piece of foam over the chip as an extra precaution. I also used my oem button pad so the only thing in there is the button pad, and remote board. So there's really nothing to rattle around. The case itself is plastic and feels -A LITTLE- cheap but it actually has a good weight and thickness to it so it does feel nice and sturdy. I haven't dropped it and like I said in the OP; it's awkward with -MY- keys on the end cuz they don't fold over like I like but otherwise I love it. I've shown everyone and they like it and were surprised I could do something like that on my own let alone at all.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Sweet, thanks. Yeah the case looks much more premium/modern. Very nice.

It's funny, I've found when you schmooze people you tend to get more of a deal. I was in this mom&pop wings place over the weekend and made nice w/the owner, ended up with a free t-shirt. :lawl:

Mikey

Reaction score
Lol. IDK that I'd say I schmoozed him. He seemed like a cool guy anyway. I told him what I was doing and hoping to accomplish and he seemed pretty intrigued by it. It was after closing time and there didn't seem to be anyone around so he probably just hooked me up.

cjsaccord

Reaction score
This is on my to do list props for actually doing it!:rock: what type of battery does that thing take?

Mikey

Reaction score
Battery is a standard CR1616 remote battery. They can be found just about anywhere.

Back