A few questions on rims

Reaction score
I've been searching through the forums to find info on this, and it's cleared up a lot, but I'm still trying to figure out a few little details that will make or break a purchase.

I'm trying to switch from steel wheels on a '99 sedan 4-cyl to rims. I found some 4x114.3's on Craigslist with a 17" diameter and a 38mm offset. Tires are included, mounted and balanced. I saw that if you do a 4 lug to 5 lug swap you need to change out some brake components. Is the same true of switching from steel wheels to rims? It seems like some cars can take the proper-sized wheel directly, while others require some adjustments. What's the case with our's?

I guess I can read on the forums all day, but I'll never pull the trigger on a major purchase unless I hear the answer to my question specifically. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

james'99

Reaction score
I've been searching through the forums to find info on this, and it's cleared up a lot, but I'm still trying to figure out a few little details that will make or break a purchase.

I'm trying to switch from steel wheels on a '99 sedan 4-cyl to rims. I found some 4x114.3's on Craigslist with a 17" diameter and a 38mm offset. Tires are included, mounted and balanced. I saw that if you do a 4 lug to 5 lug swap you need to change out some brake components. Is the same true of switching from steel wheels to rims? It seems like some cars can take the proper-sized wheel directly, while others require some adjustments. What's the case with our's?

I guess I can read on the forums all day, but I'll never pull the trigger on a major purchase unless I hear the answer to my question specifically. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

You shouldn't have an issue running wheels on drum brakes if that is the question. People here will definitely know better on the offsets though. The LX special edition had alloy wheels and rear drum brakes. If you go from 4 to 5 lug, the brake components that you would need is pretty much everything if you have a 4 cyl setup with rear drums. The 4 cyl EX with rear disc matches the rear brake setup for a V6 EX with the exception that you would need rotors. Pads and calipers match.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
You don't have to change brakes to go from steelies to actual wheels, if that's your question. Depending on the offset of the rim, you may have to use spacers to keep it from rubbing the front caliper. But the style of the rim and its "spokes" play into this too. For example, I had 18x7.5 +42, and the wheel was somewhat close to the caliper. Most wheels in general will be okay as long as you don't have a big brake it.

You just have to play with a wheel/tire calculator to see what tire size and and wheel width/offset is right for you.

Reaction score
You shouldn't have an issue running wheels on drum brakes if that is the question. People here will definitely know better on the offsets though. The LX special edition had alloy wheels and rear drum brakes. If you go from 4 to 5 lug, the brake components that you would need is pretty much everything if you have a 4 cyl setup with rear drums. The 4 cyl EX with rear disc matches the rear brake setup for a V6 EX with the exception that you would need rotors. Pads and calipers match.

I see. I think I need to read up on this more. Still not entirely sure whether or not they'd fit, and you're bringing up a whole set of issues I never even considered. But essentially you're saying that if I switch to the alloys that come with the V6 I need to pretty much rehaul the brakes, but if I get 4x114.3 wheels with an acceptable offset it should be pretty much plug and play, with a possible need for a spacer and/or speedometer calibration, correct?

james'99

Reaction score
I see. I think I need to read up on this more. Still not entirely sure whether or not they'd fit, and you're bringing up a whole set of issues I never even considered. But essentially you're saying that if I switch to the alloys that come with the V6 I need to pretty much rehaul the brakes, but if I get 4x114.3 wheels with an acceptable offset it should be pretty much plug and play, with a possible need for a spacer and/or speedometer calibration, correct?

Pretty much where I was going with that. Yes. Speedo can be made okay by running proper tire.

SterlingCG6

Reaction score
willtheyfit.com may also help you in deciding what wheels based on the offset. Remember the higher the offest the further the wheel itself will be closer to the strut and vice versa.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
rims don't fit

wheel1.jpg

jin0444

Reaction score

What was the brand on those rims? I am looking for some with those same or near specs and I can't seem to find anything anywhere.

Back