*UPDATE My Skyline Nitro R/C build thread

dustint209

Reaction score
I know there are threads of rc cars but I plan to post many pics with my progress. I'd rather have a personal thread instead.

The car started it's life as a MR-4TC SD RTR Yokomo 4wd electric drift car. It belonged to the bosses son and he had problems with the electronics. I acquired it for free and converted it to nitro using a megatech .16 engine that belongs on a rc dragster. I made a quick video at my work but had problems controlling it because of the heavy nitro motor towards the back. I need to balance it with some extra weight in the front to get it to handle better. Enjoy

DSC_0056.jpg

SAM_0329.jpg

SAM_0333.jpg

SAM_0334.jpg

I just finished the paint and trimming. The body is not attached to the chassis yet. I want to secure it without drilling holes for the body post. Maybe velcro?

SAM_0320.jpg

SAM_0321.jpg

SAM_0326.jpg

This video is not with plastic drift tires. They are soft rubber tires.

************UPDATE*************

I picked up some leds from radioshack for the taillights and headlights. I also got a tuner kit from HPI that includes mirrors, intercooler, and exhaust tip. I'm waiting on some neodymium magnets to mount the body.

SAM_0350.jpg

SAM_0353.jpg

Last edited:

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Re: My Skyline Nitro R/C build thread

Thing looks sick man! Wish I knew how to do that, because that hobby looks way fun!

dustint209

Reaction score

Thing looks sick man! Wish I knew how to do that, because that hobby looks way fun!

It's fun but can be very aggravating at the same time. Just like with any hot rod, almost every time you touch it something needs adjustment, or something breaks. That's why I only run in the winter. Sometimes you need a break. If you know how to turn a screwdriver I'm sure you could handle this hobby though. Just start with something cheap and decide later how serious you are about the hobby.

hirichard

Reaction score

im interested in this hobby, any suggestions of where to start?

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score

You may want to give your chassis some thought, aren't you worried about heat from the engine melting the plastic surrounding it?

dustint209

Reaction score

You may want to give your chassis some thought, aren't you worried about heat from the engine melting the plastic surrounding it?

naa, the motor gets hot but not that hot. The muffler I'm using is also plastic. I've ran about 8 tanks so far with no problems.

Skyy

Reaction score

Thats hellaflush..hahah

I used to do this when I was younger, except my parents wouldn't let me have the gas powered ones...so I had to use the electric ones :p

dustint209

Reaction score

Thats hellaflush..hahah

I used to do this when I was younger, except my parents wouldn't let me have the gas powered ones...so I had to use the electric ones :p

yea, I started off with electric. My dad got me into nitro rc when I was about 10. There is something about the smell and noise of a nitro motor that got me hooked. Did you guys know that you can buy a supercharger for the little motors. Check out rbinnovations.com

Last edited:

fastflyinaccord

Reaction score

Do you plan on running events with this or just for fun? I know at a track by us they actually have weekly races with a points system and everything

dustint209

Reaction score

No, its just for fun. The rc hobby is not that big around here. We have two hobby shops and an off-road track.

Back