P1259 and P1607 error codes ?!

99accorder

Reaction score
Hi guys I have a 99 Accord EX with a CEL. I went over to Auto Zone for a free check, and I was told it has both the P1259 (VTEC system malfunction) and P1607 (ECM/PCM internal circuit failure) error codes.
Other known symptoms: jerky when switching thru low gears (bad trans a possibility), haven't changed oil or gas for months now because it's been sitting still. Also the ride quality sucks in general. I don't know what any of this has to do with each other, but I'm just throwing it out there.

I want to fix the CEL's so that I can pass inspection- going forward, what are my most cost effective options?

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

jwong512

Reaction score
The Vtec malfunction code means your car is either low on oil or your Vtec solenoid went back. I would start off with changing your oil and filling it to the right level. That should fix that problem. The second code sounds like your ECM has failed and your going to have to replace that as it's not sending the proper signals for your car to be running properly.

001Stunna

Reaction score
Hi guys I have a 99 Accord EX with a CEL. I went over to Auto Zone for a free check, and I was told it has both the P1259 (VTEC system malfunction) and P1607 (ECM/PCM internal circuit failure) error codes.
Other known symptoms: jerky when switching thru low gears (bad trans a possibility), haven't changed oil or gas for months now because it's been sitting still. Also the ride quality sucks in general. I don't know what any of this has to do with each other, but I'm just throwing it out there.

I want to fix the CEL's so that I can pass inspection- going forward, what are my most cost effective options?

Thanks guys.
DTC P1259: A problem in the VTEC OIL Pressure Switch circuit or VTEC Solenoid Valve circuit.
1-Change oil and make sure to fill to proper amount and retest
2-Change VTEC solenoid valve.
3-Change VTEC pressure switch
4-You have an open or short in the wiring
...chances are #1 will fix your issue.

To retest once you add correct oil and reset the light.
-Remove clock/backup fuse for 15 seconds and replace with the key out/car off.
-Start the engine.
-Warm up the engine to normal operating temperature (cooling fan comes on).
-Road test the vehicle: Accelerate in 1st gear to an engine speed over 4,000 rpm. Hold that engine speed for at least two seconds. If DTC P1259 is not repeated during the first road test, repeat this test two more times.
-If NO - Intermittent failure, system is OK at this time.

DTC P1607: Malfunction in ECM/PCM Internal Circuit
http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39940&highlight=p1607

Last edited:

99accorder

Reaction score
001Stunna, sorry for the noob question, but when you say "VTEC oil", you mean normal engine oil right?

Regarding your four solutions for the 1259 code, which are the cheapest easiest solution to try first if #1 doesn't fix it?

How do you do you remove this backup fuse?

Also, I will be taking the car to the dealership tomorrow. Anything I should mention to the service guys in particular?

Thanks to all who responded again!!

001Stunna

Reaction score
001Stunna, sorry for the noob question, but when you say "VTEC oil", you mean normal engine oil right?

Regarding your four solutions for the 1259 code, which are the cheapest easiest solution to try first if #1 doesn't fix it?

How do you do you remove this backup fuse?

Also, I will be taking the car to the dealership tomorrow. Anything I should mention to the service guys in particular?

Thanks to all who responded again!!
Yes its just the engine oil.
Replacing valve, switch and checking for shorts i would say would be the easy->hard way after changing oil.
You just pull the fuse from passenger fuse pannel and place it back in.
You can mention the codes you're getting but that might mean they'll charge you for "diagnostics" if they have to fix the issues.

Back