lowered front and now a knocking noise

MichaelPower

Reaction score
Im sure this has been covered but i couldn't really find anything about it on stock rims. i lowered my front about another half inch and now every little bump in the road i get knocking noise and probably the best way to explain the feeling is its like the tire is coming up and hitting the top of the fender wall.

A friend of mine said i should remove the fender lining as he thinks thats what its rubbing on since theres only a couple mm's between the tire and plastic at a standstill. but if this isn't going to solve the problem i rather not remove it.

And i recently was searching and think it could possibly be hitting the strut towers maybe? i really don't wanna raise it up :hidesbehindsofa:

So any help is appreciated on how to stop this knocking!!!

xci.ed6

Reaction score
see what's hitting/rubbing (usually covered in marks), or wait for my chassis ear diy.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Look at the bottom of the strut towers and see if there are "scars" that match the UCA

truWarier02

Reaction score
Drive over a thin book on the suspecting side, then get out and check to see if the tire is really touching the fenderliner.

That or put painter's tape in that area and drive around. Then see if there are black marks on the tape after you hear the rubbing noise.

White6GAV6

Reaction score
Rubbing and knocking would be to very different sounds. If it's a knocking it sounds more like the UCA is hitting the strut tower. If it's faint, that means it barely hitting. If it really loud and sounds horrible then it's hitting hard.

MichaelPower

Reaction score
Rubbing and knocking would be to very different sounds. If it's a knocking it sounds more like the UCA is hitting the strut tower. If it's faint, that means it barely hitting. If it really loud and sounds horrible then it's hitting hard.

It's hitting pretty hard. Am I gonna do damage until I get it fixed? Happens pretty often to.

Basically should I raise it like a half inch until I cut it out?

White6GAV6

Reaction score
Not really. I rode around with my control arms touching the strut towers. Just makes driving less enjoyable. Might make a indent on the towers.

Back