Oil pump failure? or High flow pump needed

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
I had my car tuned, making 282whp on stock bottom end. Car looses oil pressure dropping out of vtec between 3300-4000 RPM. Does not do this everytime but 8/10 times.

Was told possibly need to upgrade/Replace my oil pump? Anybody had any issues or upgraded? I know only a few are boosted or have high output motors.

Ordered new oil pressure sensor
already changed vtec gasket and orings.
Will change oil to my mobil 1 10w-40 again with filter.
also had the lucas oil stabilizer to try?

nhldogg

Reaction score
Hopefully somebody else chimes in. My buddy at work was pretty set on it being the oil pump because he has owned many boosted cars and has seen that as an issue.

hotaccord243

Reaction score
I would say best bet is the oil pump if the oil pressure is the problem. Have you verified this with an oil pressure gauge?

Also, as far as I know, there are no "upgrades" to oil pumps for our car. I believe the only way to improve this is bore it out like AFAccord did.

Halabeaster54

Reaction score
well i can't speak for the 4 cyl accords but i can speak for evos (literally an awd honda). usually when they make over 550tq the design of the pan makes all the oil go away from the feed when they floor it because of the inertia. thats why busher, ams, ams, ect, make aftermarket pans. just spitballing here but its probably your oil pump haha.

Last edited:

nhldogg

Reaction score
well i can't speak for the 4 cyl accords but i can speak for evos (literally an awd honda). usually when they make over 550tq the design of the pan makes all the oil go away from the feed when they floor it because of the inertia. thats why busher, ams, ams, ect, make aftermarket pans. just spitballing here but its probably your oil pump haha.

That's what my friend was saying. He used to own an boosted Audi A4 and when he upgraded the turbo he upgraded the pump as well.

hotaccord243

Reaction score
That's what my friend was saying. He used to own an boosted Audi A4 and when he upgraded the turbo he upgraded the pump as well.

See now we are talking about two different parts the oil pump itself and the oil pickup in the oil pan. I would doubt that it would be the oil pickup in the pan itself, as I have had no problems whatsover with stock pan and oil pickup and stock oil pump making close to 400whp. I would say it would be worth a shot taking the pan off and checking the pickup and/or cleaning it, but most likely it is the pump itself.

hahaha38

Reaction score
If you are loosing oil pressure there can only be 2 causes. Either your oil pump is on its way out or you are starting to get excessive rod/crank bearing clearance. Which could lead to a spun bearing. How many miles are on your motor?

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys.Hopefully Ill get all the fluids in,oil gauge installed and fire her up.

stock motor has 177,xxx miles on.Stock block,head semi built. turbocharged for 6+years now.

Halabeaster54

Reaction score
ohhhh yea it could definitely be a bearing. your lucky you don't own a subaru. i believe on most honda 4cyl people just drop the pan and change a bearing, well at least thats what chris miller does.

nsjames

Reaction score
you can do that as long as the crank isn't scored.

if the crank is scored you're pulling it and sending it off to be resurfaced, then oversized bearings.

at that point it might be rebuild time.

Back