Car not starting everytime HELP

djand

Reaction score
Hi all,

So a strange thing has been going on with my EX V6 coupe - iv only owned the car 4 months and its my first automatic car (moved to the states from the UK so always had a manual).

so in recent weeks when starting the car its like something is stopping it kicking over - i thought it was the immobilizer at first cuz thats what its like and usually after a couple of goes it starts but yesterday it didnt want to start.

so thinking out the box i realized the only other this that may stop the car starting would be the brake switch (or how ever the car knows i have my foot on the brake before starting) and i thought the pedal felt soft so i pumped it a couple of times to get it firm and as if by magic that car started but it was a lumpy rev and stalled and when going to start again it didnt but i pumped brake a couple of times and paused then on trying to started and ran ok.

so this morning i go to start it and before i do so i pump the brake until firm but it still didnt start, tried again and nothing but then out the corner of my eye the abs light went out and it started fine.

i dont fully understand this system but could a faulty abs module or component stop the car from starting? has anyone come across this?

only thong thing to mention is when the car finally started this morning there was a clicking that started from the gear selector whilst in park but when i put it into reverse it went away.

can anyone join the dots here please. appreciate it

604ACCORD

Reaction score
I don't think you need your foot on the brake to start it my 01 Odyssey starts without foot on brake. There is a switch that tells your ecu that you are in park so it will turn. The clicking from the shifter is from putting your foot on the brake, it unlocks the shifter so you can shift out of park. Try cleaning starter contacts, battery terminals and grounds. Check your park switch

WHEEELMAN

Reaction score
You can go to Auto Zone, Advance Auto parts, etc and they will scan the OBDII free of charge to see if you have any error codes. Also, see if they can detect any PENDING codes.

then report back.

Lets see if we can eliminate your main relay being the culprit:
turn the ignition switch to position number 2 but don't try to start it. While you are doing this look at your transmission gear select on the gauge cluster. Look at the D4. The green light should come on when you go to position 2, then it will go out. This is the time when the fuel pump is priming, you might be able to hear it priming. If it does not light up at all, then your Main Relay is going out.

Back