DIY: NRG Short Hub / Quick Release / Steering wheel ( 56k = Take a dump first! )

IcyAccord

Reaction score
I know, I know there is another version of this, but the other one just didn't have enough pictures and what not, so I decided to make this.

This DIY is for the NRG short hub / NRG Quick Release / and.. a 6 point steering wheel (any aftermarket one is fine). It is very straight forward, just taking off a bunch of bolts, etc.

Notes:

- Take consideration of the notes I write on the pictures. :D

- Oh and.. Before you start anything.. FIRST, TAKE OFF YOUR GROUND / NEGATIVE BATTERY TERMINAL. JUST TO BE SAFE.

- I am NOT responsible if you screw up or if you hurt yourself.. ( Not sure how that would happen, but.. :rolleye2: )

- I DID NOT wire up the horn. If I have the time to wire it up.. I'll write the DIY for it. But please don't ask if I know how to do it or if I wired it up or whatever BS you guys might ask. kthx. :D

Tools:
- 14mm socket + wrench. (Preferably a 1/2 or a 3/8)
- T30 Torx screw.(For this.. I used a socket to go with the little screw because the bolt is difficult to take out.)
- [Optional] 1/4 socket + wrench. (Smaller the better!)
- Screw driver
- Flathead
- Allen wrench/hex key (It SHOULD be provided in the quick release box, as well as the screws for them!)

1/4 socket + torx T30 bit. It worked like a charm. Highly recommended, since it was a pain in the butt to take it off using the handle one.
socketandtorx.jpg

Step 1:
Well, here is where you'll be starting.
step1.jpg

Okay, so first, you can either take off the bolts on the side (referring to the cruise control / audio buttons) OR you can do what I did and go for the screws in the bottom.

Since we're doing it .. MY way, we'll start with the ones in the bottom. Take out the screws that is indicated below in the picture.

step115.jpg

Then, from there, you just .. forcibly take off that bottom part. It takes a little bit of effort, but it'll come right off. I didn't take a picture of it, but whatever.

Step 2:

Take your flathead and take off the plate beneath the steering wheel.

step2.jpg

From there, take out the yellow plug (fig 2.2) and there's another plug to take off, shown on Figure 2.5.

Fig 2.2
step22.jpg

Fig 2.5
step25.jpg

Step 3:
After that is done, we're gonna proceed to take off the airbag portion of the steering wheel.

On the side of the steering wheel, there is a visible plastic cover. Use your flathead to take it off.

Then you'll see the torx screw. Like so..

Left side:
step3leftside1.jpg

Right side:
step3rightside.jpg

of course, then you'll use your screw or whatever you want to use to take it out.

Ta da! It's out!
step37.jpg

Then after that.. IF YOU HAVE AUDIO / Cruise control options, then keep on reading.. if not, go to Step 4.

Continuing..

If you have the audio &/OR Cruise control.. look on the side of the controls and you'll see some screws there.

This is how it should look:
step3audio.jpg

Follow instructions on the picture.
step39.jpg

Step 4: Alright, almost there to the end. After you've unplugged the audio / cruise control.. or have just taken off the torx screws, grab the airbag part and just tug on it to take it out.

step4.jpg

Okay follow the instructions from the picture again! :)
step4gg.jpg

After that.. you should see this sucker out and about.
step4lol.jpg

After you take off that bolt, the steering wheel it self should come out.. what I did was.. I just kind of banged the back of the wheel with my hand and it came out. No need to put both hands on the steering wheel and pull as hard as you can. You could do that.. but brace yourself.. or you might hit your face. :spit:

Step 5: Last step. Now you'll see this .. SRS .. plate thing. It's the only thing that's holding you back from putting your aftermarket steering wheel on. :(

step52.jpg

After you do that, there is a loomed patch of wires attached on the SRS plate. What I personally did.. was cut it off. Some people took the SRS plate and dug it somewhere underneath the steering column. I just cut the wires off. :cool: (I don't have a picture of the wires.. but there are two wires.. one green one and one yellow one, they're together by the way).

Ah ha!! Now, put on your short hub! READ THE DIRECTIONS ON THE PICTURE!!

step55.jpg

Wow, almost done. Heck yeah, I was pretty happy.. anyways.. NOW, put on the quick release.. it should have the dimple on top as well, so remember that. Use my pictures as reference.

step57.jpg

Looking good so far. After those screws are tight enough, attach the entire quick release back on. From there, you want to do the same thing with the steering wheel, putting on the 6 screws with the allen wrench.

After that.. you're DONE.

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's the pos OEM steering wheel..
oemsteeringjunk.jpg

And here's mine.. just a teaser picture though.
Personal.jpg

Give me sticky. Kthx. :coffee:

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
oh............yea, nice steering wheel

dick, hahaha

post up pics of the whole thing whenever you feel like it, hahahahhaa

nexTOme

Reaction score
awesome!
no not the write up...i meant its awesome that your OEM steering wheel is finally off....:henry:

:naughtyrun:

reydio

Reaction score
Nice write up. Is your steering wheel in good condition? Would you like to sell it? LMK. My leather is kinda messed up from the previous owner and I would like to replace it.

CHID0

Reaction score
What short hub did you use, they seem to be car specific?

Last edited:
Back