DIY window tint???

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey guys, im tired of waiting for my freinds uncle to do it for me. So i was wondering is there a diy link, or anyone have done this before and cared to share their knowledge. thx =]

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol thx andy. ima check the vid out and then ima decide if i can tackle on the task myself. hehe

shibbywhitedude

Reaction score
I've done it lots of times. I doubt you'll get it perfect on your first time. That walmart/parts store tint isn't near as good as a shop's tint (installation-wise). Only pointers I can give you is, put the tint on the outside of the window to cut it, then apply it to the inside. Make sure you cut it right so that the sticky side isn't on the wrong side. I've done that many times. When you go to apply the tint to the window, make sure you roll it down a bit to get it to the edge of the top of the glass. Then just roll it back up to squegee the bottom down. Also I recommend buying the squeegee(spelling?) and razor blade kit. It makes it alot easier. And my last bit of advice. Use Dawn soap or Joy or some other mild dish soap and use LOTS of it. When you go to put the tint on the window, spray the window GOOD and soak the tint as you peel it apart. You can never use too much.

Oh and make sure you clean the window really good. You'll never get it completely particle free but try your best. Hope all this helps and is understandable, in kind of a hurry. Maybe some other people can say things I left out.

shibbywhitedude

Reaction score
I only did my own because I couldn't find a shop that would do it any darker than 35%. Living in a high crime area, I wanted at least 2 1/2-5% so no one could see my goods inside lol. Then I found a shop that would do 15% on the DL so I let them have at it lol. Not dark enough to deter thieves but at least the cops don't bother me now lol

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
It's really not as hard as you may think.
But it IS time consuming.
It's something you can't rush.
And if you make one small mistake, you will get frustrated as hell.
Especially if you cut it too short, or if the tint starts to crinkle, or if a part of the sticky side touches another part.
Trust me, you can easily become frustrated.
Oh, and the back glass will be a b!tch to do.
Just pay someone at a shop $100 and get it done.
That way if they screw up, it's on them

reydio

Reaction score
^^^yes, it's not that hard to do. But to do it properly, some shop takes off your door panel to be able to install the tint all the way down below the window moldings. I did it by removing the window glass and installing it. The rear is the hard one to do, it will take a lot of patience. I did it using 3 pieces, and installing 1 at a time. Some shops can sell u the tint you want, but you won't get the warranty that comes with the install.

Dinzdale40

Large Member
Reaction score
where can you buy decent window tint? i wanted to try this on my s2k since i figured it would be the easiest on that car....lemme know...

Back