How can we lower the risk of being rear ended?

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
Thanks for the info :)

To all,

Nasty collisions are literally everywhere. Please be alert!

uhhkilleez

Reaction score
Not sure if these were mentioned already but here's some other suggestions:
Brake earlier.
Maybe tap your brakes once or twice to give the person behind you a heads up
Don't ride anybody's ***.
Keep some space between the car in front.
If the car behind you is close, maybe creep forward if you have room in case they get rear ended.
If you have a stick try to light up your brake lights.
If somebody is riding you, change lanes and let them pass.
Look a couple cars ahead so you don't depend on the person directly in front of you braking early.
When braking check out your mirrors and again when you see other cars coming to a stop behind you.
In an auto hold the brake with your left food and cover the gas with your right in case you do need to get the hell out of there.
In a stick try to keep it in first with the gas pedal covered instead of neutral for the same reason as above.
Basically just be aware of your surroundings and other drivers. Just because you drive cautiously doesn't mean everybody else is.
Another thing is even if you have a green light, try to check the intersection if possible just in case somebody decides to run the light or isn't paying attention.

I also hate when people ride my *** when braking or at any time at all like it's gonna make me go faster. I always see people, especially bigger trucks, riding my *** even in suburbs with several stop signs, so I take my time braking and come to a complete stop. They end up getting reeeeal close when I'm stopped. Secretly hoping they'll give me a love tap so I can get their insurance moneyzz.

Last edited:

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
^Thank you for spending some time constucting your thoughs and countermeasures. I saw car accidents in 3 consecutive days, so I'm really hoping that this would help out all of us staying away from troubles as much as possible.

uhhkilleez

Reaction score
No problem.
This wasn't a rear end accident at a stop light but last week on the way home from school there was a single suv that ran into the center divider on the freeway and it was pinned there sitting on top of a traffic barrel.
There was debris all over the road and me and two other cars hit most of it. I didn't hit it too bad but I ran over a little glass and now have a slow leak in one tire :squintrun:

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
No problem.
This wasn't a rear end accident at a stop light but last week on the way home from school there was a single suv that ran into the center divider on the freeway and it was pinned there sitting on top of a traffic barrel.
There was debris all over the road and me and two other cars hit most of it. I didn't hit it too bad but I ran over a little glass and now have a slow leak in one tire :squintrun:
I'm assuming that it happened not so long ago when you were there. Glad you & your ride is okay.
Example of how leaving room in front of you may help avoid a car being totaled.

http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44718
I still think that his insurance is joking him, but that's just sad... Sorry for him...

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
Excuse me for double posting (and not about rear-ended).

I witnessed a t-boned accident today. A sedan ended up hitting an SUV, which was crossing the road from a block to another block w/o being cautious about the sedan coming on its way.

Felt bad for the driver of that sedan, so I walked up to the driver and gave my # as myself being a witness.

Felt good helping out someone, and the girl was kindda cute.

Kyle0614

Reaction score
Excuse me for double posting (and not about rear-ended).

I witnessed a t-boned accident today. A sedan ended up hitting an SUV, which was crossing the road from a block to another block w/o being cautious about the sedan coming on its way.

Felt bad for the driver of that sedan, so I walked up to the driver and gave my # as myself being a witness.

Felt good helping out someone, and the girl was kindda cute.

Sneaky,... lol, well, I guess you can give her rides now :)

Kyle0614

Reaction score
so what are the repercussions of being rear ended? isn't it always the other person liable? so there should be no out of pocket expense. but if it totals the car then you aren't going to get money for your after market parts. what about insurance and the resell value? will the insurance go up for you even though it isn't your fault. and will the accident lower the value of your car?/is that compensated for by the other dudes insurance.

I actually asked the adjuster about this same issue, he said as long as you have a stock piece to go back on the car when it goes to the salvage or whereever they take it, then you can have your aftermarket part back, otherwise, no replacement then it is the insurance companies part....

Back