so i took half day off work today

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
to go interview with another company tht was referred to by a friend... am i bad? unethical? :eek:

Dinzdale40

Large Member
Reaction score
i wouldn't call that unethical...if you are unhappy with your current company tho...i would tell them whats up...i've seen many people think they have a new job all figured out without telling their current boss anything.....then after they tell their boss "hey im leaving" their current boss will give them a better offer and they are stuck in a big decision after they thought it was all set...

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
i told my boss i was going to renew my passport :p

i feel guilty, but it was for a better pay and job security... i'm 4 months into my current job and a memo was sent out a month ago tht my dpt would be downsized by 20% worldwide by june

i like my current coworkers tho :eek:

TheExxonKid

Reaction score
heck no I would go do it too. Lots of people in my office have been doing that, just because of our crappy work schedule. But I wouldn't wait til the last minute. Depending on the size of the company you are with, 1. it might take awhile for them to get things together for a better offer, 2. they might let you go early. its a 50/50 situation. do you hold out and tell them at the end and they could have made a better deal, or do you tell em early and they cut you then and there. just do the dang thing!

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
yeah.... i figured i was in danger cos i was the last guy in and has the least experience... but i am getting paid peanuts tho, so i'm a really good bargain for someone with a masters degree

well, i'll know if i'll get an offer by fri or monday... one interview only, 2 candidates :crossesfinger:

TheExxonKid

Reaction score
DarkSideAccord said:
yeah.... i figured i was in danger cos i was the last guy in and has the least experience... but i am getting paid peanuts tho, so i'm a really good bargain for someone with a masters degree

well, i'll know if i'll get an offer by fri or monday... one interview only, 2 candidates :crossesfinger:

Ya I had the same thing. But it was for in internship and it came down to me at 22 with an associates degree, and a 45+ guy with a degree but sits around and plays games all day. That and I had lots of experience building comp networks and servers and stuff. I ended up getting it, and then I got the call back to work full time.

ryon527

Reaction score
right out of school get a job that will be the best for your portfolio. Most places are looking for at least 3 years experience so stay at your first job if you feel it will be good your portfolio. Then after the 3 years you can talk to the company and go after more money or just leave. If your gaining good experience and are involved in a bunch of different things you'll be better off in the long run. After taxes and all that crap people making more than you arent really taking home a huge amount more. The whole interview process is such a game. I was asked the same questions over and over again. Describe one of your weaknesses. Well I wouldn't call it a weakness but sometimes I feel frustrated with others if we are working on a project and they aren't as motivated to work on the assignment as I am. You gotta be able to sell yourself and be firm with your actions. Ok I'll stop talking now.

TheExxonKid

Reaction score
Ya thats what I had to do. I just talked myself up like I was the best thing to walk this planet and now I have been able to show myself worthy on a couple of projects. Even with that, I am in no position to ask for more $$. Have only been here just over a year. But we have a forced ranking every year that bases how much of a raise and when we get it.

Back