Catalytic Converter replacement

Aztec

Reaction score
I have a 99 accord lx with a check engine light on because of my emissions I need to replace the catalytic converter, I know these things are expensive and I want to spend as less $$ as possible. Is it ok if I go to a junk yard and take a converter off a 6th gen accord and put it on my car

SSMNVCG3

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good luck finding one at a junkyard, they are usually removed before the cars are put out.
You can get a good magnaflow cat for a little over 100 online. That'd be your cheapest option for new. Otherwise i'd suggest finding a car being parted out on craigslist and buy the cat from that.

cfox28

Reaction score
As stated above, it will be unlikely to find one at a junkyard. Also, at least here in ohio, if you're planning on taking one from a donor car, be it from CL or the junkyard, the flanges are most likely going to be rusted, which means using a cut off tool and having an exhaust shop either weld on new flanges or weld it in place which would be +$$. And you won't even know if the cat had problems from a parts car (if u find a junkyard that does sell cats, then they should have a return policy. Best bet is to get a new one. Best of luck to you

bluelights81

Reaction score
I had to replace my cat last year (180,000). I bought a Mangnaflow one from Amazon for about $125 I think. Paid an exhaust guy $65 to install it. With something like that, spend the money and get a new one. A used one may put you in the same boat a year from now.

Aztec

Reaction score
Why do junk yards take off the converters, they are so sly I bet they do it for the precious metals found in the converter and they sell it to other parties that's how they make $$

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Yup.

Nobody will pull one, right? Thas where car-part.com comes in.

blahblah311

Reaction score
At lot of people use the Magnaflow direct replacement. Myself included. Never had an issue with it. Not too expensive either.

agginline86

Reaction score
since you aren't in california, you have a lot of options

you can get a generic one and have it welded in cheap
or as stated get the magnaflow one, I think it's around $100-$125

Back