Transmission mount/ Motor Mount???

honda_dude

Reaction score
hey guys. some of yall might know that my transmission been trippin for a while now. It jerks pretty heavy going from 1st gear to second gear and a lil 2nd to 3rd. I hav a 98 AV6 Auto BTW.

Well my dad has my car right now and he brought it to a local transmission mechanic and after he test drove it he said it might be my motor mount that is bad. There were 2 transmission mechanic that looked at it. Does anyone have the same problem? And any of you change the motor mount and the jerking went away?? All along i thought my transmission was bad and I still do so ionno what to and what not to believe. lol

Gil'sCG6

Reaction score
the back motor mount is always the first one to go so i guarantee that one is broken. When i replaced my trasnmission i made sure i got it replaced, my front mount was also bad but thats an easy one to replace so i'll replace that one myself in a few weeks. If your tranny was going bad believe me you would know it by the way it revvs it would rev pretty high before shifting into the next gear.

Crimzon

Reaction score
Our cars have notoriously bad trannies, but it's not unheard of for a bad mount to make it seem like the transmission is going bad when it's not.

...And now that I think about it, I think I *have* read about someone with the exact same issue you're describing, and changing the mount fixed his problem :thumbup:

honda_dude

Reaction score
my rpm doesnt rev high before shifting gears. it revs around 2.5 - 3 rpm. which is pretty normal.

How many motor mount does the Av6 have? I kno there is 1 in the front and 1 in the back. I heard there was a transmission engine mount too? should i change thaT???

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
There are 3 mounts for the motor (front/back/passenger side), and 2 for the transmission. Look at the rear mount and see if there is a any tearing in the rubber, you can even feel around under the shroud with your hands to tell if you can't see much. If you feel like you can't determine anything, you can have your dealer look at it, should only cost a half hour of labor which should be no more than $45.

Here is a photo of the rear mount (left). The shroud I mentioned is the cover on the top that has the "RR" on it. That lifts up and you can feel the mount under it. But you should be able to see some of the mount too.

2011-05-30_17-56-29_419.jpg

Last edited:

honda_dude

Reaction score
just bought all the motor mounts for $215. 3 Motor mounts and 2 transmission mount. Im getting it replaced tomrw so hopefully it'll fix the problem. If it does fix the problem i'll be back on this site alot cause i will be working on my car more with new projects and such. need to get it back to the condition of my avatar pic lol

honda_dude

Reaction score
just dropped my car off today!!! Parts= $215 Labor= $240

Lets hope it fixes the problem. Will kno by the end of the day tomrw

honda_dude

Reaction score
BAD NEWS!!!

just got my car back. My transmission still jerks. Well all my mounts wear broken so its a good thing i got them replace.

wtf is wrong with my tranny. Ive talked to couple transmission places and they said my 2nd gear is bad. So i'll hav to get my transmission rebulid for $1200.

Another shop said it might not be the transmission and it might be a sensor or something like that and the only way to kno is to scan the transmission thing.ionno ehat he was talkin about but he said something about a machine or something that is need to scan something near the tranny and its not the same as the one u scan for a regular check engine light or such..

?????? so yea im total confuse and dont kno wat to do. ANY input??

Weecho

Reaction score
I really would like to hear how this ended.. My car is doing the same exact thing.. Was it the tranny?? Thanks.. =)

Back