Is there a cheaper way to duplicate a chipped car key than $205??

yargd

Reaction score
My Honda dealer wants $205 for a new chipped car key.
Does anybody know a cheaper way?

Thank you in advanced,

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
lol....$205 for our accord keys? Man, they're really putting the rape charge on that key.

First of all, they key is $20-30..max. If they say it's more than that, they're lying and making up prices. Second, the parts dept should be able to program the key, if you have one they can copy the code from. If they don't, then it'll have to go through the service dept which at most, is 1/2hr labor.

MikeVA

Reaction score
Any update to this? I need to make a spare key for my 98 Accord and my two local Honda stealers want $38 for the key and $115/$130 to program they key.

Eclipse99fwb

Reaction score
Well your best bet would be by the key online and have it cut at a good key place (like ace hardware or locksmith). Then call some local locksmiths, some have the software to program it, but price might not be much cheaper. Im in the same boat, only one key.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
These dealers must either be dumb or lazy or not have the right key machines. Ask your dealers or locksmith if they have a Silca RW2 transponder key machine or similar. They literally stick your key in the machine, read the code off it, remove key, insert new key, press a button, cut the key, and done. As long as our machine doesn't act up I'm done in 10min max.

Eclipse99fwb

Reaction score
Thanks for the name of the machine, been trying to find it out for awhile. The honda dealer in Denver wouldnt help and i havent tried the one in florida near me yet. I may hit up the locksmiths we use at my shop to see if they can for a better price.

99sedanDX

Reaction score
Locksmith said $175. Went to Ace Hardware. $69 including programming. Had to bring my key to copy and the car so they could make sure it worked.

Back