Lightweight flywheel and pulleys bad

604ACCORD

Reaction score
I've been wanting to do underdrve pulleys but I have a 8lb fidanza flywheel I been reading a lot about it and people say not to. Can anyone verify if it's ok for f23 or if anyone is running this kind of setup.

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
Is the crank Pulley on the f23 not a harmonic damper also or is going with a lightweight crank pulley ok? There seems to be a mish mash of information on the net

Varnell

Reaction score
Back when I was debating a lightweight flywheel/pulleys for my J32 swap the general consensus from multiple sources was, if you care solely about performance, go for it. If you plan to daily the vehicle, don't do it.

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
What are the balance shafts and belts for on the f23? I read about them spinning at twice the engine speed to dampen 3rd or 4th order harmonics. Yet some people just delete them altogether

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
What are the balance shafts and belts for on the f23? I read about them spinning at twice the engine speed to dampen 3rd or 4th order harmonics. Yet some people just delete them altogether

Remove the timing covers and you'll see two gears above and on either side of the crank, those are the balance shafts.

Google image search if you're not sure of what I'm referencing.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
It really depends on your end goals. If you are going to stick with minor mods, you can get away with Crank Pulley sets such as Unorthodox Racing. For a true power build - go with what Greg said, and do not compromise - Either ATI or Fluidampr are the way to go, and both cost $300+.

Fidanza 8LB Lightweight Flywheel is what I am using in my build. There are other brands that are just as trustworthy, I recommend going with whatever you choose.

Balance shafts are more for ride comfort as it relates to vibration, similar to the effect of poly mounts versus OEM rubber. I do not know of any studies researching overall engine longevity with them removed, so I can't speak to that.

Inactivating them may increase engine vibration slightly, but reduces rotating mass and thus frees up power. Some folks delete them, which also removes weight, and allows the oil volume to be better targeted at other areas that may need it such as crank/rod bearings. If you decide to do that, I may have a Kaizenspeed Balance Shaft Delete Kit available. Other folks just remove the belt and leave them alone - there's nothing wrong with letting them sit there as fillers.

Back