HomerJay's 2001 Accord Coupe EX (56K) [UPDATED 9/30/2018!!]

xluben

Reaction score
HomerJay said:
If I'm not mistaken, I can still keep a "totaled" car and they'd pay me less what "they'd get" at an auction (no doubt, inflated!). I just wouldn't be able to insure the vehicle anymore.

no, you can have the car totalled, get ur money, and "buy" the car back (like you explained)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvage_title

i think you can then repair it and it's all legal again (but i could be wrong).

if you do this and then perform a lot of the labor yourself i could see you ending up with a "free" carbon fiber hood.

start checking the local junkyards! if you can find a oem black bumper cover and a new headlight, your pretty much set (and then buy your cf hood).

Neight

Reaction score
that sucks, so everything behind the headlight is fine? that is where the ABS unit is located, right behind the driver's headlight. Hopefully that didn't get damaged.

cantafordaccord

Reaction score
just contact your indurance get a quote from thbody shop see if they can give you a deal on prepping for paint buy all nessacary plastics that have been melted and DIY minus the paint

HomerJay

Reaction score
cantafordaccord said:
just contact your indurance get a quote from thbody shop see if they can give you a deal on prepping for paint buy all nessacary plastics that have been melted and DIY minus the paint
I'm going to talk with the body shop where I left it for the insurance adjuster to appraise it. I want them to write me up a detailed estimate breaking out pretty much everything (Honda parts where available, of course!). That's the number I'll work for from the insurance company. That way I can do anything that's simple while they take care of repairs I don't know how to fix (i.e. ABS repairs, brakes, panel repair, painting).

I'm hoping she'll be okay soon... :driving:

Last edited:

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
just be glad the whole car didnt burn like one did last year here...the entire car was charred.

i dont think it will be totalled...hopefully the shop can get it back to you soon and not have to wait for months :)

highway_patrol

Reaction score
well that is not cool but anyways welcome to the site and a passing of good luck as with anybody who has had damage to their car.

HomerJay

Reaction score
ryan s said:
just be glad the whole car didnt burn like one did last year here...the entire car was charred.

i dont think it will be totalled...hopefully the shop can get it back to you soon and not have to wait for months :)
You're right about that. It could have been worse. The more I think about it, there's a lot of work there that I can do (bumper cover, wheel well) so I'm thinking there will be a way to work it out. With a personal estimate, I'll just know what I'd like to get ideally...I'll also know what I'll save by doing certain repairs myself.

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
damn bro... tht sux... maybe time for a new bumper, grill and cf hood? :D the short is prob due to the headlights... and u might wanna get new tires up front too if the fire messed those up..

damn.. and those r nice rims too :(

accordman1

Reaction score
Hey man sorry to hear that. Thats pretty messed up I would be so pissed. Where do you live anyway? I hope you could find that person that did it and f... him up. Well hopefully you get it all fixed and back. Good luck

and_one

Reaction score
seriously some real random sh.t...but hey hang in there and hopefully everything ends up for the best...GOOD LUCK!!!

Back