To all experienced/veteran members of 6ga???

Sl1m_Shady

Reaction score
Alright, so if you have a minute or so id appreciate your input on this

I recently obtained an 01 EX sedan 4cyl for my 16th birthday in june.

However, the car was far from flawless :eusa_doh:

The body was in great condition, i was surprised for having 150k+ miles on it.

The engine bay was a different story though...

Now;

My question to you guys is; when you look at the following pictures, what in YOUR opinion jumps out at YOU, and is saying "change this, do this, etc"

I would appreciate some opinions for those who have already heavily customized their accords over the years, and know whats in and whats out.

The following pictures are of the engine bay, and i must warn you, the last owners battery legitimately exploded and covered most of the engine with this nasty green sulfuric acid **** that covered/corroded many of the parts in the bay.

starting with the overall view of the bay: (only aftermarket thing ive installed is obviously the short ram, but other than that nothing else in the bay)

DSC01311.jpg

Now a look near the spark plug wires (here you can see the spots of green sulfuric acid)

DSC01312.jpg

Back of the engine bay:

DSC01318.jpg

Heres the corroded ABS and other components:

DSC01314.jpg

The engine itself and the corroding heat shield:

DSC01313.jpg

And finally, here is the starter cable. I had to obviously take off the old one from corrosion, cut the wires, and clamp it with a new brass connector along with a new battery.

DSC01315.jpg

Now, after that unpleasant display :boohoo:,

the exterior is in great condition. Virtually no scratches on front bumper facia.

DSC01316.jpg

And the back of the car (Yes, i know, make fun of me for the taillights haha im just a 16 year old kid....:rice:

DSC01317.jpg

NOW:

once again, what would you do? Where would you start if you were in my position? Replacing engine components? Lower it? Ill take any suggestions.

again, i am new to 6thgen accords. im trying the best i can to restore this thing, even though im still in high school without a consistent flow of income. I still got money to throw around if i need to though.

Thank you so much for your time, and thanks for any suggestions!!!

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
simple green and detail the whole engine bay.. then do all the basic maintenance.. then get rid of those awful tail lights :jae:

eggs

Reaction score
simple green and detail the whole engine bay.. then do all the basic maintenance.. then get rid of those awful tail lights :jae:

what roy said.

and in my opinion i would say:
1) get stock tailights
2) lower it
3) rims
4) stereo maybe

i mean the problem is that everyone has a different opinion on what they want to do to their cars but many people here will prob say lip kits,tints,retrofitted headlights... search the member rides and you can see what everyone is doing and see what it looks like
and since your in hs i know money is tight so here is a list of cheap diy mods
http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7842&highlight=dollars

good luck and happy modding

finch13

Reaction score

Many DIY car washes have a degreaser or engine cleaner spray. I'd do that, then pressure wash it. Just be wary of spraying directly at the distributor, spark plug boots, and fuse box.

The engine itself doesn't look that bad, much cleaner than many stock Accords I see at the shop. The worst thing I see is the cruise control... that thing looks pretty corroded.

As far as maintenance, figure out if and when the timing belt has been changed. That's priority numero uno. Fluids will need changing, belts too possibly. CEL on? Get the codes scanned. Air filter?

That's really about it.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
that looks pretty much the same as my engine bay with all the salt over the years :redface2:

001Stunna

Reaction score
I think i'd say...
-Wash your engine bay and clean it as much as you can.
-Run some fuel injector cleaner or maybe seafoam.
-Do Maintenance if you haven't already(plugs/wires/air filter(inside)/cap/rotor/timing belt/water pump/tranny fluid and any other fluids that need topup or changing/check your suspension components for wear etc)

Then go to things that are more of wants and not needs such as
-Blackhouse your headlights (with or without yellow highbeams depends on your taste)
-Paint calipers/drums.
-Upgrade to 04 TL rear sway bar (plus new endlinks probably as the oems might be siezed)
-Interior leds on courtesy/map/dome lights etc.
-Change those rear tails.

Then go to more expensive things such as..
-Suspension (strut & spring combo or coilovers)
-Rims
-Body lips (front/side/rear)
-Window Tint
-HID's (preferably on retro-projectors but many run then in the oem reflectors too)
-Fog Lights

Last edited:

Raymond

Reaction score
If it's running fine, I'd just do some basic maintenance and clean it up. Whatever won't come clean, like maybe the valve cover, exhaust manifold heat shield, anything easily removable... I'd take em off and spray can them black. It'll clean things up quite a bit. LeeAnn's little sister got a blue '01 4cyl coupe not long ago and the engine bay looks just like yours lol

AllGOnoSHOW

Reaction score
Engine looks fine. Clean. Routine maintenance and be done.
Go to junk yard
acquire OEM headlights
stop by lowes / home depot on way home
Acquire air craft stripper
swap out altezzas
place altezzas in secluded area
dump half bottle of stripper on lights
save other half for a friend or if you make the same mistake again
come back each day to take a photo until they've melted
Photoshop pictures into a before and after set
title it "Faces of Altezza" and post it here.
High five yourself.

You can thank me later

Btw car looks great and Congrats on the car!!

accord02se

Reaction score
new tail lights, take the heat shield off, clean it up good. I'll sell you a header 4-2 header cheap?

Sl1m_Shady

Reaction score
-Run some fuel injector cleaner or maybe seafoam.

Yeah....about that :sad:

if you didnt see my earlier thread, i was explaining i was having some problems with my tank/lines, it seemed to be periodically dripping fuel.

So just about an hour ago i put it on a lift, and its all seeping out the top of my tank.

Take it for an inspection @ Honda Marysville Ohio, they say i have rusted fuel lines. :doh:

Guy looks on computer, comes back and says it will cost around $2,500 to have them replaced. :eekwtf:

After i shat a brick, i went home and decided even though it will be a helluva job, i have the tools and assets to change them myself. My now retired grandpa was a mechanic for 50 years. Only option i see left is doing it together, and dropping the rear suspension, replacing the lines on our own.

Still in a tough spot though deciding on it

Back