transmission trouble

F23A1AT

Reaction score
Okay guys I need some help with my transmission, It is starting to slip, but not in the middle of a gear. When my car is cold and only cold, I'll start it up and begin to drive. First gear ends up running to about 3K+ then it will slip like a mo-fo between first and second, when it finally gets into second gear it slams into it. Also when it is cold only it will shift very hard through all four gears. However, when it is slightly warmer not even two minutes later it will shift seamlessly like butter. I want to try and hold off on the 5spd swap option right now since i don't have all of my stuff nor the time to do it; so any suggestions on what I can do for make this last another year or so are greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post.

Cliff-notes: trans dying, slips at first-second, but works fine 2 mins later, need suggestions.

cajun

Reaction score
Sorry to hear. I spoke with the owner of a local trans shop a few weeks ago. They do a lot of Honda/Acura's from 98-03. The symptoms you describe is how he told me they generally start to crap out. He tells customers to just ease off the pedal when they feel the slip. Doing this, he claims people have gone another 6 months to a year before it completely craps out. He has had a bunch of customers who told him when they first felt the slip they gunned it every time, and the trans was done not too long after.

rvangj

Reaction score
If your slipping that much your oil has to be black.

If its not black i would check the TPS sensor out. It controls main line pressure for tranny hydrolic.

My accord did that to and it was tps.

F23A1AT

Reaction score
If your slipping that much your oil has to be black.

If its not black i would check the TPS sensor out. It controls main line pressure for tranny hydrolic.

My accord did that to and it was tps.

The fluid is 4000 miles old, when I found out our transmissions were made of glass I started changing the fluid every third oil change. I am hoping it is the solenoids, b/c it only does it when it shifts. Aren't those externally accessible for cleaning. :crosses fingers:

edit: Are you talking about engine oil???

rvangj

Reaction score
The fluid is 4000 miles old, when I found out our transmissions were made of glass I started changing the fluid every third oil change. I am hoping it is the solenoids, b/c it only does it when it shifts. Aren't those externally accessible for cleaning. :crosses fingers:

edit: Are you talking about engine oil???

No not engine oil. ATF them clutchs in the trans slip they burn up and your oil will show it. If its still red ill check TPS

TPS cant be cleaned. It either works or is dead. Cant buy a new one buy itself either. Have to buy the whole throttle body to get new tps. unless you know how to cut the screws out.

jbisselwhiteac6

Reaction score
I went from october to may about 15,000 miles on my tranny in that condition and i never thought it would go out but obviously it it did

jwong512

Reaction score
Check the tranny dipstick. Most likely if you had it changed only 4k ago it should be clean but just check to make sure. Your tranny is probably dying and if the fluid is dirty, your best bet to prolong it would be changing the fluid again.

truWarier02

Reaction score
I've been experiencing the same thing for almost the past 3 weeks on my I4 2002.

It runs fine during the day after it's been driven. But in the morning or when it's been sitting for a couple hours and the car is cold.. it will give me that jolt from 1st-2nd (D4 of course).. it would just slip til it hits like almost 4k rpm. Then from 2nd to 3rd it would switch like before 3k but it's still a hard shift. 2 mins later.. the gears will change smoothly.

My tranny fluid was near black when i changed it a 2 weeks ago. But even with the new ATF, it still jolts but I did notice the gears transition smoother after the drain/fill.

I hate having the thought of knowing that my tranny might just **** on me on the way to school or something..

Last edited:

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol thats y i let my car warm up for at least 5mins when left overnight. i dont feel the slips :thumbsup: 73k and a lot more to go! :D

truWarier02

Reaction score
lol thats y i let my car warm up for at least 5mins when left overnight. i dont feel the slips :thumbsup: 73k and a lot more to go! :D

i do... i let it warm up for 10+ mins in the morning and give it a couple revs.. still happens.

FML FML FML FML

Last edited:
Back