Need help adjusting the OEM headlights

mollyfmc

Reaction score
I recently installed HID bulbs in the car and when I attempted to adjust the headlights, by turning the 10mm bolt, the lights don't move. Has anyone seen this? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

NashvegasCG

Reaction score
yes... thats how you change the angle... the part may be broken inside the headlight if thats not working for you. FYI the movement is very subtle....veeeeryyy subtle. you might have to spin it around a few times before you see the angle change

ejreams

Reaction score
I KNOW THIS ONE!

Finally something I know.

Use a philips screwdriver to turn the circular gears

Look in your owners manual in page 250.

You slide a philips screwdriver in between the gear and the headlight and turn it right to raise it left to lower it.

I used to think you were supposed to turn them with your fingers.

If that doesn't change anything let me know.

Also there is a gauge if you look for it on the gear that should be at "0"

Ralphie

Reaction score
Ok so since im about to order an HID kit and i know ive read you must re align your headlamps to avoid blinding other drivers i have a question?

Im assuming that id be readjusting them down?

I ask because i want to know if there is a simpler way to do this?

I don't really have access to a flat wall with a distance of 20ft that i know of offhand since i live in NYC.

Id have to drive around and look for one which im up to doing but i wanted to know if there was a quick way that someone whos done this once or twice might know of?

Ive never aimed headlights and im sure its simple but does it make a click sound when you raise or lower?

if so then is there a certain # of clicks i can go to be in the ballpark if i can't find a wall?

Also if i do find a wall what am i looking for other then uniformity?

I didn't want to make a new thread and didn't see anything that resemebled my questions more then this thread so sorry for thread jacking :Starwars:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
You didn't jack this thread. You raised it from the dead. lol

Yes you would be pointing the lights downward. There is no clicking sound. Just find a wall, any wall at dusk or night and aim according to your owner's manual. Brick walls are easiest because you can just look at the mortar lines relative to your beams and get them even that way, then just check the distance from the ground. If you don't have the manual just do a quick search & you'll get the measurements, there were a couple threads created this year I remember.

Before you go adjusting, I would evaluate whether you need to. When I installed my kit I never adjusted them, and I have never gotten flashed in the 2 years I've had them. If it helps, my beams hit the car in front of me just below their decklid, so very little light, if any, goes into their cabin. When/if you do adjust, make sure you have sufficient visibility as well.

Last edited:

Ralphie

Reaction score
You didn't jack this thread. You raised it from the dead. lol

Yes you would be pointing the lights downward. There is no clicking sound. Just find a wall, any wall at dusk or night and aim according to your owner's manual. Brick walls are easiest because you can just look at the mortar lines relative to your beams and get them even that way, then just check the distance from the ground. If you don't have the manual just do a quick search & you'll get the measurements, there were a couple threads created this year I remember.

Before you go adjusting, I would evaluate whether you need to. When I installed my kit I never adjusted them, and I have never gotten flashed in the 2 years I've had them. If it helps, my beams hit the car in front of me just below their decklid, so very little light, if any, goes into their cabin. When/if you do adjust, make sure you have sufficient visibility as well.

OK awesome, very good info. So really i need a wall...well if i need to adjust.

Kinda figured that. I guess ill keep my eye out for a good brick wall, there deff are plenty here just hope i can find one with distance and room for my car lol.

Thanks again!

Back