Best rim cleaner (non chrome)

redlinevtec

Reaction score
Hey guys whats a good product you guys use to clean your aftermarket wheels and make them shine? Just soap and water? Any specific brand at the auto parts store? Throw me some ideas. I want to polish my new rims up and make them look clean. But I'm not down to spend $30-$50 on a 15oz - 20oz bottle either...

Searched and didn't really find what I was looking for. Thanks

Last edited:

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
go to homedepot and pick up a gallon of Zep Citrus Degreaser for 10.50. Dilute it to 4:1 or 3:1, let it sit for a minute and scrub it. If you want something more fancy then you can buy Sonax Full Effect wheel cleaner. 16 bucks for 500ml, kinda pricey tho but it works really well. :)

RaVaGeSpEeD

Reaction score
^that.

Or if you wanna stay the home depot route, try 'simple green' 4:1 dilution also. Works on tires too, but doesn't leave shine.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I've always used soap, water, and a microfiber sponge. And once a year I wax them. I clean them every week or two so they don't get that dirty.

If you've got tar, grease, etc on them, the above would work well though. Though I've had good experience with Armor All's wheel cleaner too.

kwak123

Teehee
Reaction score
i used goo-gone.. LOL ghettofab i know, so sue me :flipoff:

it worked really well though... super persistent grass-stains on the wheels, couldn't get them off using soap, water, scrubber, so sprayed some goo-gone and watched it melt away

redlinevtec

Reaction score
These all sound like great products.

These rims I have are not to dirty but they have some brake dust on them from the previous owner. Isn't simple green to harsh on the rims clear coat finish? Meguiars sounds like the brand I'm leaning towards. Well respected brand. Any other suggestions?

Lol goo-gone?! Harsh! Damn!

kwak123

Teehee
Reaction score
harsh... but clean :naughtyrun:

+1 on the meguiars though... been using tech wax 2.0 and tried their head light restoration... great products

fastflyinaccord

Reaction score
These all sound like great products.

These rims I have are not to dirty but they have some brake dust on them from the previous owner. Isn't simple green to harsh on the rims clear coat finish? Meguiars sounds like the brand I'm leaning towards. Well respected brand. Any other suggestions?

Lol goo-gone?! Harsh! Damn!

When I use Simple Green I don't let it sit long at all. I spray the rim with a hose, spray simple green on, let it sit for 15-20 seconds, then spray it with the hose and wipe with a rag. It does a really nice job.

Back