Blackhousing headlight but not turn signal part?

CarNewbie

Reaction score
Hey guys I am looking to do a retrofit and also black housing my headlights but in all the videos I watch people have the part where the turn signals are also painted black. I want the turn signal part to be clear. Is there an easy way to do this? I imagine it will be a pain in the *** to tape it off and have it look good.
30714310090_original.jpg

kn0x47

Reaction score
yeah you use tape.... use the blue painter's tape and stick the tape on your clothes about 3 or 4 times before putting it on the light so it's less likely to lift the chrome finish off

Sino

Reaction score
One thing I regret with mine. Outside corners are kind of a black hole now. I just drive around with the parking lights on to fill it in though so it's not as bad.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
if you're going to retrofit the headlights, just buy the already blackhoused ones off of ebay in the style you like. ebay headlights are known to not have that great of light output, but with a retrofit, that doesn't matter. if you tape off your current headlights, the tape may peel off some of the chrome since they're so old now...i remember that stuff happening to people back when i got my first accord in 2004 haha, so i'd say the chances are greater now.

when i did my retros on my second accord, i used ebay headlights and taped them off when i blackhoused them. i didn't have any problems with the chrome peeling off with the tape when i removed it.

DBO867

Reaction score
I did this on my old headlights, check my build thread. Just tape off the chrome part you dont want painted with blue painters tape and use a xacto or pocket knife to cut the excess tape off. Definitely looks alot cleaner than the blacked out corners imo

Wht00Accord

Reaction score
I plastidipped mine the first time I did black housings to my oem headlights and the dip peeled the oem chrome off.

The next time I'm redoing my headlights again I'll paint them black this time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Pardie

Reaction score
Couldn't you cut out some cardboard to put over the section you don't want painted? Or even construction paper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back