DIY: V6 Hood Damper Installation for 4cyls. (hood struts, lifts, shocks)

Wht00Accord

Reaction score
Installed my struts today. Took AFACCORD idea.

2940d81225ecb2e7ac9598930850dbb4.jpg

102c3cf6989e5e0895806a8884f0eb71.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Fusionreactives

Reaction score
I used the mending plate. It doesn't look too bad! I like it. I want to point out that you will need to file the hole in the hood maybe 1/8" all around if you want to use the mending plate. I didnt feel like hooking up the electric to use my dremel. Life is hard for us garage-less modders.

Wht00Accord

Reaction score
I used the mending plate. It doesn't look too bad! I like it. I want to point out that you will need to file the hole in the hood maybe 1/8" all around if you want to use the mending plate. I didnt feel like hooking up the electric to use my dremel. Life is hard for us garage-less modders.
Lol I cut an slot from the hole near the factory hole slot on the side and grind the edges to fit my finger in there to put a washer from behind the pivot ball.

thurman.

Reaction score
Lol I cut an slot from the hole near the factory hole slot on the side and grind the edges to fit my finger in there to put a washer from behind the pivot ball.

Looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kevirl

Reaction score
4. Secure mount with screws.

OEMFP-11.jpg

5. Install the ball stud with a lock washer into the corner brace facing the engine. Use the 12mm to hold the ball stud, and the 13mm to turn the nut. I had to bend the brace up a bit to give the damper enough room to pivot on the ball stud. It's not much, as you can see in the photo below.

OEMFP-12.jpg

Guys this is a stupid question but how did you go about bending the brace above after you have it mounted. I have the bracket mounted but don't want to bend it too much or end up loosening the screws too much. Something like a vise grips and just bend the bracket or grab from where the stud is and bend from there?
Thanks.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
Guys this is a stupid question but how did you go about bending the brace above after you have it mounted. I have the bracket mounted but don't want to bend it too much or end up loosening the screws too much. Something like a vise grips and just bend the bracket or grab from where the stud is and bend from there?
Thanks.

id take it off the car and try to hammer it around the corner of a like a 2x4 or something similar. bending it with vice grips could work, but it would probably look like crap once you're done, not to mention you're most likely right about making it loose if you try to do it while it's still on the car. you could even use a torch and just heat it up along where you want to bend it, and the hammering around the wood method would work easily.

SupraGuy

Reaction score
Thanks.

First off, see if you need to. A different corner brace might give a different amount of room, and it may not be necessary to bend so much.

If it is necessary, this doesn't need a lot of overthinking, and it can probably be taken care of outside the car. the photos don't appear to have needed much bending from where it started, so vice grips would likely be perfectly adequate. (It's not like you're bending a new brace from scratch, you're slightly lifting the ball away from the surface to give it room for the strut.) Probably though, I'd just make adjustments after it's in the car.

Back