Transmission Rough When Cold?

changaroo

Reaction score
Hey 6GA,

Soon to be a 6th gen coupe owner hopefully.
I am currently test driving a 99 coupe v6 that just hit 109k miles.

I know not all accords this year are plagued with the tranny issues, but its still in the back of my mind. I am a full time college student so I cant really afford any down times with the car. I currently drive a civic, so the accord seems like a pretty good step up :)

I noticed on the way to work these past two mornings, (I usually start up the car and let it warm up for 2-3 mins just to be safe). But every time I shift into reverse the transmission klunks. Its not a huge clunk, but its there.

Maintenance on this car has been done religiously at the dealer, so I'm not too worried about the tranny not being flushed at appropriate times. I checked the fluid color and its the regular tranny fluid color.

Should I be concerned with the klunking? It only seems to happen in reverse when the car is cold. When it warms up, the transmission shifts like butter. No crazy jolting i've been reading about on the forums.

So is there anything in particular I should be worried about?

Thanks

changaroo

Reaction score
Would it be the motor mounts if it doesnt happen when its warm? Like if i park it somewhere and run into a store and come back out, it goes into reverse just fine.

:shrugs:

changaroo

Reaction score
So its not a big deal? I've never been in an automatic car thats klunked like this even in the cold.

white beauty

Reaction score
^^ yeah the 6th gen is different from a lot of other cars when it comes to the tranny, the only time i notice the klunk when i shift to reverse is when im on an incline, and my car does shift rough from 1st to second when cold as well, supposedly its normal

changaroo

Reaction score

white_beauty, are you still on the original transmissioN?

white beauty

Reaction score
im on my second tranny, but it was one of the ones honda ****ed up so i got the second one for free. this one tho still shifts hard from first to second only when cold and still does the klunk when shifting to reverse when im parked on an incline, nothing you can do, its annoying but i learned to deal with it. this one tho is beginning to have some problems as well, i would say due to the fact that i shift it lol, but thankfully it has the three year warranty on it lol

danvar

Reaction score
Do you park on a hill or downhill and not on an even steet or driveway?
If this is the case, this sound is normal due to the weight of the car resting in the transmission when you set your car to Park and then turn it off. Its a very good idea to aplly your ebrake before letting your foot of the brake after setting the car on Park. By this, your ebrake will hold your car in place and not the transmission itself.

Accord_4_life

Reaction score
^Thats what I do. Even when not on a hill, I will put my car into Neutral and apply the e-brake, let my foot off the brake, then put it in park. This way, there is absolutlly no weight on the transmission. My car clunks going into reverse when its cold too, and doesnt shift all that good when its cold, then if perfect when warm. Sounds normal to me?

Back