Going for a re-tune.... (Round #2) Updated 10/28/13

hotaccord243

Reaction score
Re: Going for a re-tune.... (Round #2) Updated 10/4/13

Bled the clutch system and the coolant system.

Started it up, let it get to operating temp. and bled some more coolant. Ran fine didn't overheat or nothing. Also charged the a/c system, didn't help much, cause I heard another hissing, so guessing I have a leak somewhere. ugh.

But regardless, drove it around just minutes ago. Checked for any oil leaks and pan is sealed like fort Knox.

There was a VERY slow drip from where the transmission meets the cover by the oil pan, sprayed break clean on it and watched, it slowed down alot. I'm guessing just left over transmission fluid from removal and install.

When driving it, noticed it "skipping" a bit when trying to feather the clutch. Guessing it's just how severe the engagement of this clutch is versus the last.

The other thing I noticed was that, when moving and clutch pedal engaged, and heard a very soft rotating sound, but I'm pretty positive is just everything getting settled and some material came off of the flywheel so it's just, like I said, getting settled and adjusted.

Overall, LOVE :wub: the clutch. Not an extreme difference but definite noticeable difference. The engagement is shorter and slightly more severe but not stupidly so, just right. And there really isn't much forgiveness for screwing up.... I killed it twice trying to figure it out LOL. But probably the best clutch I've had so far. Really truly feel the clutch and the car, it's awesome!

Yippee! :party36:

NOW - It's time for the breaking in of the clutch. I'm thinking 300-500 miles somewhere in there, which should be doable by next weekend no problem. Can't wait to stomp on it and go for more power!!!!! Cross your fingers nothing drastically weird happens...

A few things left to do when I have time - Adjust e-brake, interior lights, interior removal, exhaust repairs, battery tie down, etc. but in due time.

AFAccord

Reaction score

No need to break in that clutch man, just give it a few good slips and it'll be good to go! Most 6-pucks don't require a break in period.

hotaccord243

Reaction score

No need to break in that clutch man, just give it a few good slips and it'll be good to go! Most 6-pucks don't require a break in period.

Really? Are you sure? I've just never heard that before so I'm a bit cautious about it....

Brad2274

Reaction score

dude just adjust your e-brake now, takes like 5 minutes, just pop off the plastic piece in the center console box, i dont think i even needed a wrench lol.

AFAccord

Reaction score

Dirk Starksen said:
The goal behind breaking in a clutch is different for a puck disc versus a street disc.

Street disc - Break in helps lap the surfaces smooth and the wear rate decreases after break in. This has to be done over time (200-500 miles for instance) for best results. City driving is best and full throttle, high rpm, etc doesn't matter. What matters is that you don't allow the clutch to get hot from excessive slippage, so don't apply full throttle unless the clutch is fully engaged. If the clutch is ran hard right away, more material will wear off before it properly laps in. In this case, proper break in = longer clutch life.

Puck disc - Break in allows the surfaces to get full contact by wearing off the high spots, etc. Once full contact has been achieved, the coefficient of friction is higher and it has more area to distribute the heat. It is not as important to break it in slowly, like the street disc.

Truth

hotaccord243

Reaction score

Just got back from breaking in the clutch. Works great, held the power no problem, it was really fun.

No overheating either so that's good!

Now to set up a tune appointment to see what it can do!

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score

:pepper:

I'm going to have to try CarQuest or another machine shop for my Fidanza 8 lb flywheel!

:chewie:

Back