My J32A2/6MT -> 2001 V6 Accord Swap Thread

sonni_kuba

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score
UPDATED June 1, 2014

I thought it would be most helpful to other members of this forum who are contemplating either a J32A2 or 6MT swap to have a succinct review of the swap that we each performed, instead of having to go through countless pages of "congrats man," "will look cool," "can't wait," comments. Don't get me wrong, I appreciated all the encouragement, but I also believe in making this forum as productive and helpful as possible.

Summary:

1) Bought a 2003 Acura TypeS (197K km) $3300 CAD to extract:
- ECU
- Engine harness
- Transmission mounts
- Starter
- Clutch Assembly
- Hydraulic system
- Gear shifter
- Clutch pedal and Brake pedal
- Flywheel
- 6 speed Transmission (LSD)

2) Bought separately:
- J32A2 Engine assembly (60K km) ($735 CAD)
- Exedy Stage 1 Clutch
- J37 IM, J35 IM cover, P2R J37/J32 Adapter
- 04-06 RSX Type S shift knob
- 98-02 Accord shift boot

Advantages of using all 03 CL TypeS parts: relatively easy rewiring, no CELs, no need for 3rd party modules
Disadvantages of using all 03 CL TypeS parts: upfront cost of buying a whole donor car, rarity of low mileage J32A2s

Advantages of using J37IM: no need to lower subframe/compromise ground clearance, better flow, better high end hp/tq
Disadvantages of using J37IM: need for adapters, loss of IMRC

End Result - 1000 km later, still no CELs :D

ORIGINAL THREAD

As some of you have already been following my quest to MT my Accord, I am happy to say that all the parts are in and the shop is aiming to complete the swap and wiring during the month of January :driver:

Having read through the countless 6MT swap threads, I was a little apprehensive about going ahead with this swap. However, as I was reading, most of the problems that people encountered IMHO were the result of pairing components from different cars (Accords/CL/TL), different generations (6th/7th), and different transmissions (MT vs AT). I am hoping to avoid some of these problems by extracting as much components as possible from the donor car. I am sure that we'll run into some problems along the way, but if it's simpler than other swaps, then I hope others can learn from this experience.

To recap here are the components ...

Target Car:
2001 Accord V6 (150K km) - > bought new by in-laws

Donor Car:
2003 Acura CL-Type S 6MT (201K km) -> bought used privately ($3300 CAD)
- Clutch replaced at 194K km
- Cross drilled/slotted rotors 11.8 F and 11.1 R at 194K km
- AEM V1 CAI

Donor Engine:
2003 Acura CL-Type S 6MT (61K km) -> bought from Sonshine Auto Parts ($735 CAD)

Additional Components:
- XS Power Headers with 2.5" Collector
- FLOWMASTER Universal Cat (2220125) 2.5" inlet/outlet
- Honda Shift Boot Assembly (83414-S84-A01ZA)
- Acura RSX 6 Speed Shift Knob (54102-S6M-N03ZA)
- Torque Solution Manual Shifter Boot Adapter - 10x1.5mm Thread

That's the list for now, all the parts that have previously been listed as being necessary for a 6 speed swap, I will try to cannibalize from the donor car. The plan is to run CL-S Engine/Transmission/ECU/Engine Harness with the Accord instrument cluster. I previously toyed with the idea of completing a dash swap as well, but for a number of reasons decided against it. I will, however, be happy to takeover the upgraded rotors and the stock CL-S strut bar :thumbup:

I will try to keep the this page updated as things start rolling or/when we run into hiccups.

Last edited:

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Jakub, glad to see you have gotten things together.

I am sure the shop will have plenty of time to spend on the car in the new year, so hopefully you can get it up and running asap.

Looking forward to getting my goodies from the donor car as well!!

:deal:

sonni_kuba

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score
UPDATE #1

So, I tried ordering my XSPower headers from both of these websites

http://xs-power.com/
http://www.ssautochrome.com/

Both of them would accept payment and reply a few days later indicating in very bad English grammar that they are out of stock.

Did a little bit more digging and found some very disturbing info

Apparently, both of these companies, which curiously have the same mailing address and contact info, have been shipping EBay knock off headers WITHOUT the 6 speed bend, and only a 2" collector pipe.

http://cl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=874589

http://www.bbb.org/raleigh-durham/b...uto-chrome-in-creedmoor-nc-3001613/complaints

Luckily for me, they BOTH returned the full amount they charged, but I was still without a pair of MT compatible headers as Comptech also discontinued their headers :(

I was going to just do the swap with the stock exhaust manifold and wait to see a pair popup online used, when I found and bought a pair of USED XS Power Headers off EBay with the 6 SPEED bend and a FLOWMASTER 2.5" CAT already welded onto the collector with 2 02 sensors attached :)

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

If I finish work early tomorrow, will be dropping car off at the shop, headers due to arrive early next week.

sonni_kuba

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well another swap thread I can live vicariously through, until I do mine. Subbed, can't wait for updates

Will keep you guys posted and try to take plenty pics.

Looking forward to getting my goodies from the donor car as well!!

The wheels from the donor don't look as bad as I thought ... will keep you posted

98V6Accord

Reaction score
Looks good so far!

I have a j32a2 engine an 05 tl 6 speed tranny

I want to do the j35 swap

I have access to a j35a3 (01-02 mdx)

I've read from the list that it'll work, but someone said it's AWD and
the transmission won't bolt up?!? :33:

Can anybody verify this?

sonni_kuba

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks good so far!

Thanks

I have a j32a2 engine an 05 tl 6 speed tranny

I want to do the j35 swap

I have access to a j35a3 (01-02 mdx)

I've read from the list that it'll work, but someone said it's AWD and
the transmission won't bolt up?!? :33:

Can anybody verify this?

I was reading somewhere on the AcuraZine forums about somebody who did that particular swap, but I can't seem to find the link right now. Either way, you would be making it MORE difficult, but not impossible.

Back