Custom tail lights

98QueS-10s

Reaction score
Well let me start by saying most all the aftermarket tail lights for the 6th gen coupe look like ***. The closet thing to a clean looking light are the depo red/clear. But after some searching I found their alignment of color is wayyyyy off. So I decided to make my own.

I started of with this
265f37cff778302ec2c447d3a2fa83cf.jpg

Picked them up off of egay for 35 bucks.

Next, I placed them on the car and lined up the center bar with the fluting in the tail lights. Masked them off and sprayed a few coats of red vht night shades paint. And this is how it turned out.

fb4a01ffc72d207161f0ef5912ae1e25.jpg

And here is with a little light shining through them.

c1234ba1a12af08461edeebca8ca8bf0.jpg

Tomorrow's plans are, sand with 1000 grit and clear 2-3 times. Then sand again and buff..

Btw this is for my girlfriend car

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Definitely better off making your own set that line up like this. Should look good if you used the right type of tint. Interested to see pics.

How do you plan to address the 3/4" or whatever it is at the bottom of the top section that is suppose to illuminate with the bottom section? I'm assuming you are putting an amber bulb in the top section, but whatever is in there is still going to light up thst strip of red unless it is somehow blocked off.

Last edited:

98QueS-10s

Reaction score
Sanded and cleared about 5 times

0535fc510d5370afc89082e491d73bb4.jpg

Still not slick enough once they cure I'll wet sand and buff
410b89f7093bccac37ded756ad130c80.jpg

98QueS-10s

Reaction score
Definitely better off making your own set that line up like this. Should look good if you used the right type of tint. Interested to see pics.

How do you plan to address the 3/4" or whatever it is at the bottom of the top section that is suppose to illuminate with the bottom section? I'm assuming you are putting an amber bulb in the top section, but whatever is in there is still going to light up thst strip of red unless it is somehow blocked off.

Well, I thought about it, and when I lit up the light it doesn't seam to light up much if any. so i will probably let her run them like this for a little while and see how i like them. For the light I plan on putting a pair of silvania silver star blinkers and removing the running light from the blinker circuit.

Last edited:

Darianjr1

Reaction score
I work at night and you got me wishing night time will fall, so that you may please post a pic at night :coffee:

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
you should put a led bulb in there with smd leds on it. then you'll never notice the red strip at the bottom of the turn signal area when used, and it'll stay clear, with no color reflection, while its not in use. you'd need a new signal relay though, but thats easy to do...it would prevent the hyper blinking you get when you just swap in a led bulb.

looks good though dude, nice work.​

98QueS-10s

Reaction score
I would go with led's but I really like the color reflection of these bulbs. Plus they blend nicely with the silver of the car. I probably will go with led break lights though, and if I do go with led blinkers it will be switch back led's. Probably be tomorrow before I post night pics, due to the fact that I am siliconing the seal around the light to prevent condensation. I just have trust issues with egay lights leaking.

Back